Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I just did my first ride in the rain this evening (20 miles) , and was just wondering what the recommended drive train maintenance protocol is for an after rain ride?

I washed the bike off with car wash soap and water when I returned home, including brushing out many of the nooks and crannies that I could get to. I then dried the bike off with an old towel. I also ran the chain through a rag to dry it off after the washing. Other than that, what else should I do to maintain the drive train?

BTW, the bike is an '06 Trek 2100 with 105/Ultegra. The bike has just over 300 miles since I got it new this spring. It was a leftover bike I got on clearance, so it is a new bike despite being 2 model years old.

Thanks for your input.

Later,

Jay B.

·
aka Zoo
763 Posts
grayfox2014 said:
lube the chain to prevent rust, you normally want to do this quickly. Also you don't want to spray your bikes bearing with a hose this could let water in.
Technically shouldn't anything with bearings be sealed?

·
oh lonesome road for you
1,713 Posts
I think damge from hoses is overstated. Just don't use a high pressure washer.

Unless you're anal (which we all are sometimes) just make sure the drivetrain is wiped down and re-lubed.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
I usually either do one of the following - or both - after wiping down the bike and relubing the drivetrain and pivot points of the brakes and derraileurs...

A. Hand the bike upside down a bit to get any water out of the seat tube

B. Take the cable guide screw out and leave it out overnight to let water drip out...

zach

·
Registered
515 Posts
Qstick333 said:
I usually either do one of the following - or both - after wiping down the bike and relubing the drivetrain and pivot points of the brakes and derraileurs...

A. Hand the bike upside down a bit to get any water out of the seat tube

B. Take the cable guide screw out and leave it out overnight to let water drip out...

zach
O.K. I'll bite: What "cable guide screw" are you referring to? Do you mean the adjustment barrels on the downtube?

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
drewmcg said:
O.K. I'll bite: What "cable guide screw" are you referring to? Do you mean the adjustment barrels on the downtube?

I am referring to the screw that attaches the cable guide that is on the underside of the bottom bracket area of the frame - the shifter cables go through it. On many frames that don't have "weep" holes, this is an effective way to let water that has accumulated in the frame drain out - all tubes lead to the BB shell....

Zach

·
Registered
515 Posts
Qstick333 said:
I am referring to the screw that attaches the cable guide that is on the underside of the bottom bracket area of the frame - the shifter cables go through it. On many frames that don't have "weep" holes, this is an effective way to let water that has accumulated in the frame drain out - all tubes lead to the BB shell....

Zach
Right. A few observations: (i) if you hang the bike upside down (or by front wheel), there should be no need to remove the guide bracket screw; and (ii) if your crank uses one of the newer external bearing systems, then this precaution/hassle is probably not worth it (since the bearings are outside the bottom bracket shell), imho, unless you have a steel frame without a drain hole.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.