Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This would be for my "shop" (garage) - not a real shop, but not going in the seat bag either. Is there one you guys like more than Park's CT-3.2?

Thanks!

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
i've used an inexpensive topeak tool for years, and it has held up nicely -- probably around 100 times.

i've found it works best with its threads cleaned and re-greased every couple uses. i think i paid $7 for it at the lbs.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Doesn't that depend on the chain?
I have the Park (CT 4.2 and CT 11) but for Campagnolo 11 speed I bought their tool -- it works much better than the Park tools.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, that Park CT-3.2 is for Shimano and Sram. I should've specified - I'm using Shimano and Sram chains.

·
Registered
8,778 Posts
I've been using a Park CT 3 for a number of years, issue free. I just use it to break chains, using a link to make them whole. I've used it on 10 and 11 Campagnolo chains and on chains for 5 and 6 speed drivetrains.

I think that the most important thing to consider is a tool large enough to handle easily while doing the job.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I've been using a Park CT 3 for a number of years, issue free. I just use it to break chains, using a link to make them whole. I've used it on 10 and 11 Campagnolo chains and on chains for 5 and 6 speed drivetrains.

I think that the most important thing to consider is a tool large enough to handle easily while doing the job.
I've been doing the same thing, although I use a Park CT-2 to break the chain. I've found the links seem to be more reliable and consistent than the various different pin methods out there.

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
I really like the Lezyne chain tools. I'd love to have the fancy Campy 11-speed chain tool, but it's in excess of $200. Plus, I like links better than pins. I think the strength of the Campy chain tool is installing pins.

Lezyne Chain Drive Tool - 11 Spd - Bike Tools - Ribble Cycles
pmf, have you used the Lezyne Campy chain tool and, if so, what do you think of it? I have one but haven't used it yet; when I replaced my Campy chain I chickened out and used a KMC link. The whole peening thing seemed like more art than science

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
pmf, have you used the Lezyne Campy chain tool and, if so, what do you think of it? I have one but haven't used it yet; when I replaced my Campy chain I chickened out and used a KMC link. The whole peening thing seemed like more art than science
I've used it to remove the 11-speed Campy chains, but not to do the pin/peening. The peening process looks almost like doing a rivet. I've had bad luck with pins on Shimano chains and only use links to put a chain back together. I think they're superior to pins. A lot less chance of screwing it up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts