Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
As a new buyer who has spent the last week trying to buy a bike on the internet I have found that the first thing that you should do upon finding a screaming deal on MTBR is to type the seller's name and/or product into the buyer seller forum. I have encountered ten or so scams on e-bay and here. With a little caution and common sense they are really easy to spot. I just wish there was some way to catch these people.

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,746 Posts
I used COD through the USPS twice (once as a seller, once as a buyer) and thought it was a great option. Yes, it doesn't guarantee quality or condition, but it guarantees delivery, which is the main thing one can hope for. Best results would be to combine it with PayPal, I suppose, but I don't like the PayPal fees.

·
Registered
3 Posts
ebay direct

Too good to be true Lightspeed on Craig's List. Long explanation of why PayPal is inconvenient. There is no "ebay direct" just a scam!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Pharos Parcel Scam

Hello I just wanted to let everyone know there is a scam where the person post a bicycle on Craigslist. He states that he is from the states and is in the UK working for a relief organization and had to carry the bike with him. He states that he can sell the bike through a intermediary company Pharos Parcel (a legit company) but he has scammed there web page and he sends you a confirmation and ask that you wire the cash to a David Bendell. Needless to say I was scammed. I contacted the actual Pharos Parcel company and they stated that apparently this person has been doing this in Canada and has now moved to the US. He also is doing the same thing with electronics and musical equipment. DO NOT WIRE MONEY TO THIS COMPANY!!!!!

21 - 25 of 25 Posts