Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be visiting my parents in Tucson and would like some route suggestions for a 3-4 hour ride. They live in Saddlebrook (Oro valley, off of Rt 77) and I'd like to start there. The route should have a place to refill water bottles along they way.

Last time I visited them I just went east (?) on 77 towards biolab (and beyond) for a while and then turned around and came back.

Hopefully I can do something a little more interesting this time.

Thanks,
Paul

·
Proud luddite
7,920 Posts
Paul, I stumbled across this website a couple years ago and as far as I'm concerned, it is the motherlode....tons of different routes, all with maps and descriptions, all over the Tucson area. Here's the link:

http://psy1.psych.arizona.edu/cgi-bin/megahurtz

A nice area to ride which isn't far from Saddlebrooke is the Rancho Vistoso area, and it's just a couple miles to the south of Saddlebrooke on Oracle Road (Oracle Rd. and Route 77 are the same road). Just head south from Saddlebrooke and you will see the traffic light where Rancho Vistoso Blvd. intersects Oracle Rd. Turn right and just follow the road, with various options to get you back to Oracle Rd. Just south of the Oracle Rd. and Tangerine Rd. intersection is Catalina State Park, and you can follow the park road about a mile to a visitor center where you can refill your water bottles and use the restroom.

Just a word of caution about Oracle Rd. though....they are starting a massive construction project beginning at Tangerine Rd. and going south from there, so be wary of barricades and traffic restrictions on weekdays. On weekends that stretch doesn't seem too dangerous, at least not when I have been riding.

·
Registered
26 Posts
That was a great site! I've just spent the last hour or so looking at all the maps. Thanks, I'm real new to all of this roadbiking and I have been needing ideas for rides. I live in Continental Ranch.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks

Thanks for the link.

I bit off a little more than I could chew for this ride. I left my parents house at 4:45AM (on the bike) with the intent of climbing Mt. Lemmon. It started out pretty well. I eventually made it down to Tanque Verde and found a nice back way from Bear Road (something like that) to Catalina. I was able to buy a couple of Power Aids at a car wash on Tanque Verde. (I had just filled my water bottles at the park off of Tanque Verde, but dumped them out for the Power Aid)

It was close to 8:30 by the time I made to the milepost 0 at the start of the Mt. Lemmon climb. I thought it would cool off a bit in the mountain, but it was still quite hot. I made it to milepost 10 and decided the sensible thing to do would be to turn around head back. There was no way I was going to make it another 15 miles to the top of Mt. Lemmon (if the ride didn't kill me, my wife would have for being gone way longer than I told her).

On the way back I missed the turn for Kolb (because I didn't realize it had changed names to Sabina Canyon Road). This turned out to be a blessing in disguise because my CO2 malfunctioned after a flat, and I happened to be right outside a bike shop on Tanque Verde. I was able to pump up the tire and fill my water bottles at the bike shop. I turned right on Pima and then right again on Swan and then back to Ina and Oracle.

I finally pooped out on Oracle by Honeywell and had to call my wife to pick me up. It was just too darn hot and I was completely worn out.

Next time I do this I am going to drive to the start of Mt. Lemmon.

Paul

·
Proud luddite
7,920 Posts
ddakin said:
I'm heading to Phoenix next week and I'm planning to head to Tuscon and ride up Mt. Lemmon either early Tuesday or early Wednesday morning.

Are there any group rides weekday mornings?

Dan
There are a number of different groups that offer rides on weekday mornings. I scanned over some and found that Fairwheel Bikes does one on Wednesday mornings that I believe includes a trip up Mt. Lemmon. Here's the link, and you can contact them for the details:

http://www.fwrt.org/

·
your god hates me
1,602 Posts
Also check out http://www.aliciarides.com/index.html

The MegaHurtz site is definitely a goldmine, though I will confess, when I was last in Tucson & chose a route from their site, I was really disappointed at the quality of the roads in the entire first half of a 75 mile route. Maybe that's just a given when riding in the southwest quadrant of the city, but there was way too much shoddy pavement and stop&go traffic for what I'm used to when cycling in Tucson.

+1 on the Mt. Lemmon ride. I finally completed it this past February, after making two previous incomplete attempts. From our "base of operations" just off Tanque Verde (approx. 4 miles from Mile 0) to the pie shop at Summerhaven and back in 3'45".

3 hours up, 45 minutes down! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.