Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What socks would you recommend for commuting and touring?

Also, what sandals would you recommend for cycling?

The weather where we live is rather mild (Modesto, CA), with some chilly mornings below freezing. I've been doing just fine riding with only one pair of socks and tennis shoes.

My socks are wearing out and I need to get some quality riding socks very soon!!! Also, my feet swell up from riding, and so I'd like to try sandals.

·
gastarbeiter
1,513 Posts
vja4Him said:
What socks would you recommend for commuting and touring?

Also, what sandals would you recommend for cycling?

The weather where we live is rather mild (Modesto, CA), with some chilly mornings below freezing. I've been doing just fine riding with only one pair of socks and tennis shoes.

My socks are wearing out and I need to get some quality riding socks very soon!!! Also, my feet swell up from riding, and so I'd like to try sandals.
best to ask in the fred forum.

·
I didn't even own a cat..
594 Posts
Personally I like Walmart's dri-star socks. I have a bunch of pairs of them. They are synthetic (no cotton) and wick. They are a thin sock so you are comfortable. I find them pretty nice for $4/3pairs. I have bought the gray colored ones but I'm only seeing the white shorties lately.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Maybe so, but...

botto said:
best to ask in the fred forum.
When it's warm out I often commute / run errands with sandles (my town bike has flat pedals). I find that my Birkenstocks are really prone to falling off my feet if I miss a shift etc.

Flip flops, that have that strap that goes between your big toe and it's neighbor, work a bit better but I've still managed to lose one in the middle of the street.

Best yet would be something with a heal strap but at that point I'd just put on some shoes.

Free the toes free the mind:p

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
vja4Him said:
Thanks for the suggestion. I posted my question to the phred list.
Phred, BAH! I love my SPD sandals. I have el-cheapos from Pricepoint (Sette) which at the time were idendical to the Nashbar branded ones and only cost about $30. They are very comfortable, and stiff enough in the sole for fairly long rides (I've gone 30+ miles), but are also just plain comfortable walking sandals (used them for that too before I put the cleats on). There are more expensive and probably higher quality ones, but these work fine for casual riding.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
The only sock I wear for anything from hiking to skiing to cycling or running is Smartwool. They are the best. Even better for touring since they will NOT stink like synthetics.

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
I commuted everyday for two and a half years in Hawaii wearing Lake SPD sandals. I thought they were great but I never wore socks with them. When I transferred to Italy in 2007, I had to buy more socks since the only time I wore them in Hawaii was on the weekend with my road shoes. IMO, the Lake versions are the best because they have a lip across the front that keeps road debris out. I wore out the first pair in about 18 months.

The Century King Woody Graham wore SPD sandals on his 60+ century rides a year. He wore them because his feet would swell.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Camilo said:
Phred, BAH! I love my SPD sandals. I have el-cheapos from Pricepoint (Sette) which at the time were idendical to the Nashbar branded ones and only cost about $30. They are very comfortable, and stiff enough in the sole for fairly long rides (I've gone 30+ miles), but are also just plain comfortable walking sandals (used them for that too before I put the cleats on). There are more expensive and probably higher quality ones, but these work fine for casual riding.
I have some of those also.

·
Integrated Cyclist
95 Posts
Keen has some new cycling sandles with SPD mounts. Keen sandles ROCK!!!

And they have enough leather coverage that socks and sandals actually look good with them. Just wear socks that are close in dark/bright to the sandals.

·
Registered
293 Posts
you may want to try on as many different ones as you can to find the best fit. Lake sandals did not fit my feet very well, but the Sette sandals fit much better and I wear them all the time for the commute

1 - 16 of 16 Posts