Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 5800 left hand side Stages crank which has been incorrectly fitted. The teeth that hold the crank onto the crankset spindle have worn due to slippage.

Is there a way to have the crank reconditioned and fitted with a new internal collar and avoid the cost of a new power meter?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I know nothing about your cranks or situation, but possibly you could use something like JB Weld or Loctite 603 Retaining compound to hold it. Put new bearings in, apply the compound, tighten everything back up and allow to cure. You may never be able to get it apart again and would need to cut it apart next time bearings were required but that could buy some time until the new bearings fail. Fixes like this are used in other power transmission applications such as where splines have wallowed out. Maybe nothing to lose except for a few dollars on the compound.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,564 Posts
I know nothing about your cranks or situation, but possibly you could use something like JB Weld or Loctite 603 Retaining compound to hold it. Put new bearings in, apply the compound, tighten everything back up and allow to cure. You may never be able to get it apart again and would need to cut it apart next time bearings were required but that could buy some time until the new bearings fail. Fixes like this are used in other power transmission applications such as where splines have wallowed out. Maybe nothing to lose except for a few dollars on the compound.
Unless it did actually work, then you'd be looking at the inevitable nightmare of removing it at some point. Don't do this.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
I have a 5800 left hand side Stages crank which has been incorrectly fitted. The teeth that hold the crank onto the crankset spindle have worn due to slippage.

Is there a way to have the crank reconditioned and fitted with a new internal collar and avoid the cost of a new power meter?
Not sure I have the scenario straight but you know a 5800 crankset can be had for $80 or so right?

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Not sure I have the scenario straight but you know a 5800 crankset can be had for $80 or so right?
You do not have it straight. He said it's a Stages power meter left arm. More like 500 bucks.

Let's work on the reading comprehension ;-)

Reactions: vagabondcyclist

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
You do not have it straight. He said it's a Stages power meter left arm. More like 500 bucks.

Let's work on the reading comprehension ;-)
I'm still not sure I 'get' the description but I suppose his last sentence told me all I needed to know and, yeah, I didn't have it straight. "avoid the cost of a new power meter"

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,426 Posts
Wouldn't both the left and right sides be damaged??

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
I would call Stages. I'd explain the ordeal and ask if they could fit the pod to a new arm. I'm guessing the answer is no but they might be sympathetic with you and do a swap of arms for a small fee.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Steel axle vs alloy crank arm? Only the axle would normally be damaged.
Or, rather, the other way around, I think you mean.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
For those unclear about what the OP is asking, the spline teeth on the power meter that grip the crank shaft (axle?) are stripped out. He's asking about replacing it.

OP, I believe CX has the correct answer, as always. Call stages and tell them your problem. Ask if they can retro fit the module onto a new arm (perhaps one you provide) ? If not, I'm afraid you are probably out of luck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts