Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Pathlete and Pedalphile
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay, I'm a Sram guy and know nothing about Campy but need some info on a friends Campy set up. He is replacing his 10 speed Record FD. Found a place that has it but they are advertising it as only working with 53/39 chainrings. He has compact 50/34. Will it work with his compact?

It looks like he needs a CT instead of a CS. Is that true?

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
several years ago, Campy produced both regular and CT FD's. About 3 yrs ago they got a redesign and are now universal.

you could just use a current Centaur or Veloce FD, which will work fine. If your friend is a stickler for Record, then I'd suggest looking for a NOS CT FD. The well known auction site has several.

the standard one will work, but not as well as either of the options above.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The older all silver Record 10 FD has worked best for me. FSA Pro Compact and Campy Record Ultra Torque Compact 50/34. Have used both clamp and braze on. The part carbon QS FD was next best followed by a NOS Daytona FD. Used a Record CT FD it was a POS. Probably the same design team that developed the Syncros. Also ran a 52/34 on the older Record FD with the FSA compact cranks for a few years.

·
Pathlete and Pedalphile
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the information guys. A couple of follow up questions:

bikerjulio- Why doesn't the standard version work as well on a compact as the CT version? What about using a Chorus 10 speed FD?

calrider61- Why is the CT version a POS?

Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Im going to step a little bit here... what julio says is right, depending on the year campagnolo started producing universal FD... if your friend nails one of the new versions that should work just fine. Even a compact FD will work with regular cranks as well (i have one of my bikes with that).

With campagnolo your friend can use basically any FD he wants, campagnolo front shifter will shift whatever you put in there. Maybe your friend doesnt know that, so if you have an sram compact or universal just put that in there and try, probably will work just fine.

You friend can get a campagnolo 11 FD aswell, those will work fine with the levers he has, one of my bikes is like that aswell.

A quick question, your friend tried to use the FD with the compact cranks, just asking because doesnt say if you guys tried already. A campy person would have do that 1st thing after installing the CT crankset. Wouldnt surprise me at all that the FD he has would work just fine with CT.

ps: calrider doesnt know what he is talking about.

·
Pathlete and Pedalphile
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Hey ultraman,

He currently is using a CT but the tail piece came off and he can't locate another one and decided he wanted to just replace the FD. I told him he doesn't have to replace it with Campy but he doesn't want to change to another brand. I've been looking on the interwebs for the tail piece but haven't been able to find any.

If you know of anywhere I can find parts for the FD, please let me know.

Thanks for all your help.

Just thought I should probably clarify "tail piece". It is the piece that screws on the end of the cage.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
the older CT FD's were shaped quite differently on the inner plate to better lift the chain off a 34T chainring, like below.

the current universal 10-speed FD's work fine on a compact and are the most economical solution. I'm seeing in the $25-$35 range for Veloce or Centaur. I don't see the point of spending any more. An 11-spd will be a little more finicky to set up as it's slightly narrower. Check with Ribble, Total or Wiggle.

·
Pathlete and Pedalphile
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the older CT FD's were shaped quite differently on the inner plate to better lift the chain off a 34T chainring, like below.

the current universal 10-speed FD's work fine on a compact and are the most economical solution. I'm seeing in the $25-$35 range for Veloce or Centaur. I don't see the point of spending any more. An 11-spd will be a little more finicky to set up as it's slightly narrower. Check with Ribble, Total or Wiggle.
His current FD is not a QS (quick shift), will the QS work with his levers?

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
all current FD's are "quickshift", and yes they work fine with older shifters. I know from experience.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.