Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a record 10sp chain that seems to skip just a little if I am pedaling hard and shifting up a gear. It seems like it skips and then clunks into gear. Chain has around 2k in miles and has been properly lubed and maintained. Does this sound like it may need replacement? I have not measured the chain. I am a light rider (145lbs) and don't think I have ever worn out a chain. Thoughts?

·
Registered
388 Posts
bout time to replace the chain anyway....your cassette will last longer with frequent chain changes from my experience......replace chain and make sure you are tuned and then see if you still have same issue.....those lightweight chains can wear and stretch faster than you might think.

I use kmc chains for bombing around and training...they usually last about 2-3k miles

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
info...

True chain skip occurs when a new chain installed on worn cogs and even them it usually occurs on only one or two of the most-used cogs. It does NOT just start occuring out of nowhere, particularly if the chain has been properly maintained and not ridden in extreme conditions.

Pedaling hard and shifting to a smaller cog can result in a clunky shift. So can something as simple as having too little shift cable tension. Try applying at least 1/4 turn more tension.

It's rare for a Campy chain to exhibit much elongation, so the common length check with a precision 12" scale will NOT tell you if the chain is worn out.

Campy recommends using calipers between the roller over a 5.200 inch length and replace the chain when that diemsnions reaches 5.220 inch. That is very conservative, but if you use only one chain until that dimension increases to 5.240, you may get REAL chain skip when a second chain is installed. I avoid that by alternating the use of several chains and rotating when each is about half worn. That avoids chain skip.

Chain life varies a lot depending on riding condition and maintenance, but I've got as much as 6,000 miles from a Campy 10 chain. I'd consider anything less than 4,000 quite poor life.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your reply, I will try to add a little tension and see what happens, I would be surprised if it were worn out so early. I did want to try your idea of alternating chains but have never had good luck with any of the quick links. Thanks again.

·
Registered
813 Posts
A friend gave me his Merckx with 10speed Record on it today. The bike maybe has 2k miles on it.

The chain doesn't quite mesh with the 39tooth chainring when you shift from the 53 to the 39. I've messed with limit screws (both all the way out..), adjusted cable tension, and it's a bit better now. Noted that the cage isn't parallel to the chainring, tho didn't have tools to remedy that or a scale or calipers to check chain length.

Any ideas?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts