Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Overequipped, underlegged
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got my AWESOMEEEEEEEEEEEEEE look KG171 (pics soon) and i picked up a a trashed shimano 600 grouppo which i intend to use only for a short while until i manage to get the real thing.
the real thing will either be Record 8 or if i can find it, Dura Ace 8.
i've already found a complete record 8 (complete as in COMPLETE. stem, handlebars, seatpost, BB, all the bits and bolts) for a rather competitive price and according to the seller in PERFECT condition.
if i do find a Dura Ace kit from the era and in similar condition, which would be the better choice?
Spare parts availability is a minor concern since this is a bike that will be ridden 300 miles a year at most, so its basically a question of function and just plan coolness.
What do you people think? italian or japanese for the French steed?
cheers!

· Banned
7,191 Posts
DA 8 will cost you less. Record 8 will be more expensive, but maybe cooler if you really like that sort of thing.

Mavic won't work worth a @#$% but man, will it look cool.

I had a similar dilemma a couple months ago- what to put on '90 Serotta. I went with DA 8 because: 1, I had a bunch of DA 8 lying around. 2, DA 8 derailleurs work just fine with DA 9 and DA10 DT shifters, meaning I could run 8, 9 or 10 speed cassettes- very handy to have that kind of variety available. 3, DA 8 is borderline bulletproof, especially with DT shifters. 4, I love campy Nuovo Record and Super Record, and DA 8 looks more like those old groups- very stripped down and business like, no fluff- than anything Campy was doing at the time.

· Registered
3,096 Posts
Do you want downtube shifters or STI's/Ergo's? Consider that Ergo's are rebuildable and STI's aren't.

And any 8 speed specific Campy components (i.e., Ergo's and rear derailleurs) are commanding high prices on eBay. So if you can get the "full Record" setup you mentioned for a good price, that would be my choice.

· Registered
1,077 Posts
I would vote to go the DA8 route. An advantage is that you can run new SRAM 8 spd cassettes and chain which are very reasonably priced and readily available. As previously mentioned, DA8 is nearly as bulletproof as they come. I have a DA8 group from 1991 that has been well maintained, but battle-scared. It still works great. The SRAM cassette is much lighter than the original Shimano and shifts as well or better.

brewster

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.