Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If look is not an issue between the two set up, which is better in term of everything else? For the FSA, it uses an ISIS bb. By the way, i am a 160lb ride who does mostly flat and rolling terrain. Also, the price difference is insignificant.

One more question, when FSA says that they have both 9speed and 10 speed compatible, what is the difference in term of the spec? I mean how is the 9speed crank different from the 10 speed crank in term of the measurement. Can I use the 9 speed crank with my Record 10 setup and still able to shift all the 10 gears?

Thanks a lot

·
Juanmoretime
2,203 Posts
The real story.

I had Record 10 speed aluminium cranks and went to the Team Carbon Pro with the ISIS bottom bracket. Both are excellent cranks and other than looks the only real difference is weight and width. The FSA has a wider Q angle which feels better to me since I ride slightly bowlegged. From what I've been told, the difference between the ISIS 9 and 10 speed in the thickness of the spyder where the rings mount, the 10 speed is narrower. In over 3,000 miles of riding I find the ISIS bottom bracket to be very smooth and stiff. There are some suttle difference but don't expect a great difference is you go FSA although I don't regret the choice, it is carbon fiber!

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
chainring spacing...

Even FSA couldn't tell me the exact difference between the Shimano 9 speed and Campy chainring spacing. I have one of each (triples) and can't tell any difference in the shifting on Campy 10 drivetrains. Since both brands moved the rings closer together (Shimano when they went to 9 speed and Campy when they went to 10) I suspect the difference is .25mm at most.

As for the BB choice, it's debatable which is the best choice. With Shimano, the trend is away from Octalink. You can chose between the heavier Ultegra cartridge model or the DA model that's lighter but a bit more finicky to adjust. I've read reports from disappointed users of the DA bottom bracket also. At least they are cheap to replace. Nobody but Shimano makes Octalink bottom brackets. I chose the ISIS model and have no regrets so far. From what I've read, most ISIS problems involve bearing failure from water or dirt passing the seals, mainly on MTB bikes. I don't ride in the rain, so this doesn't concern me. Early models may also have had only one bearing on the drive side. Most now have two bearings on the drive side and better seals.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.