Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was installing a record chain today and pushed the pin all the way in the link with about near 0.1mm protruding on the internal (pushing) side like the campy manuel saids. Problem is the pin on the external side was protruding out too far. So I switch the tool around and push the protruded side back in a little until both sides of the pin are protruding out equally. Question is this ok in terms of longivity of that link? I don't want tthat part of the link to break around a few hundred miles and get stranded. Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
91 Posts
It should protrude out

On the 11 spd chain, even after peening, the outside of the pin should protrude more than on the inside. I would suspect it was correct before you pushed it back.

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
10 or 11?

Big difference between 10 and 11 speed. Either way though, the only way you have pushed a pin in too far is if it results in a tight link. Only then would I try to fix it by wiggling on the tight link.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
C-40 said:
Big difference between 10 and 11 speed. Either way though, the only way you have pushed a pin in too far is if it results in a tight link. Only then would I try to fix it by wiggling on the tight link.
It's the 10spd chain. There doesn't seem to be a kink in that link. And yes, going through the first hole on the external link was tough.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts