Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Campy Record chain with over 3,000 miles on it and it works perfectly. I clean the drivetrain at least once every three weeks and try to keep the chain clean and lubed. I see no reason to replace the chain, yet a friend recommended me to do so because of the mileage. I don't know if mileage is necessarily the dispositive factor.

I've asked a few other cyclists their opinion as to when it's time to replace a quality chain, and I've heard the spectrum ranging from replace every 1,000 miles to degrease the chain and drivetrain every two weeks and you're fine.

Any wisdom out there on when is the right time to replace a Campy Record chain is greatly appreciated.

·
Juanmoretime
2,201 Posts
Park Chain checker or a ruler.

Some may say the Park chain checker is not the way to go saying its not accurate. I use it and find it works fine. If you measure the chain with a ruler 12 links should equal 12 inches. If its 1/16 of an inch beyond 12 inches replace it now because it will wear out your rings and cassette. I get about 3,000 out each one but your riding style has a lot of influence on the rate of chain wear.

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
use a scale..

A precision 12 inch scale is the best way to check a chain for wear. Lay the chain on a bench and pull it tight. Place the end of the scale on the edge of a pin. The pin at the opposite end will be completely covered when the chain is new. Change the chain before the length increases enough to show 1/2 of the pin at the opposite end.

An edge to edge measurement is the same as center to center. What you're doing proving that the original 12 inch length has not increased to more than 12-1/16 inches.

You can also compare the full length of chain to a new one, with the same number of links. A chain is shot when it's 1/4" longer overall.

FWIW, extremely frequent lubing can double or triple chain life. I've got one Campy 10 chain with 5,000 miles on it that still measures nearly like new.

·
Registered
207 Posts
C-40 said:
FWIW, extremely frequent lubing can double or triple chain life. I've got one Campy 10 chain with 5,000 miles on it that still measures nearly like new.
Same here. I lube with ProLink every 300mi. The chain is so "new" the Park chain checker won't even fit into the chain. I even had Park send me a new one thinking the checker was defective and it reads the same. With the same riding pattern and lube schedule I got less miles out of my old Shimano 9spd chains. I felt weird buying the "ultra" chain but since they last so long why not?

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the feedback. I did some more asking around from Campy Record users on local club ride and concensus seems to be every 3,000 miles or a bit longer if degreased and lubed regularly.

Mil grazie.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts