Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a set of 2nd hand 9 speed Record cranks, but with a 102mm BB (Chorus) the inside chainring fouls (only just) on the chain stay & the front derailer won't quite go in close enough to the frame even with the limit screw backed all the way so the derailer cage won't clear the chain.

About 2-3mm is all I need to push the cranks out to get it to work, so am I OK to use those cranks on a 111mm symmetrical Centaur BB? That'd be 4.5mm extra which is more than I need, but should be OK. Somebody indicated to me that they thought the taper was different from Record to Centaur, but I can't find any proof of this on the net. I can really only find info suggesting they're all the same taper (in the newer stuff anyway).

Thanks in advance,
Magoo

·
naranjito
785 Posts
i don´t know the answer to this one but if you check out the campag website then you should find all the info you need on there.

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
something is wrong...

Unless the crank is real old, made before campy switched to the shorter 102mm spindle on record and chorus (before 9 speed), the 102mm should work correctly. The crank is either old or perhaps newer and damaged from over tightening. Be sure that the spindle is not bottoming out on the crank bolt. There should be some small gap between the face of the crank and the end of the spindle after it's tightened.

The tapers are the same on all current campy BBs.

What you should be measuring is the chainline. The tip of a tooth on the big ring should be 47-48mm from the center of the seat tube. Measure from the side of the ST and add 1/2 of the ST diameter to get the c-c dimension.

If all you need is 1-2mm then a BB spacer may do the trick.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
C40,

I bought the cranks off a friend's boss & he said he'd bought them new about 4 or 5 years ago, but he didn't seem confident. I don't have my camera here at the moment, but the style of the logos on the cranks is the same as these two cranks on ebay (obviously mine say record) -
http://cgi.ebay.com/Campagnolo-crank-arms-170mm_W0QQitemZ7225648086QQcategoryZ56195QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

From what I could find on the net the changeover to the 102mm BB was about 1995, do you think these cranks would be about that age? I'm not too worried if they are that old, I got them more for the length than the model - they're 180s which are hard to come by down here (I'm in Australia).

I just measured my chainline & it's about 43-44mm with the 102mm BB, so it does look I'm short by about 3-4mm.

Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts