Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Big is relative
11,901 Posts
fah35 said:
I think Im going to buy some custom wheels DT 1.2. Whats the difference between the record hub versuses the centaur hub other than the price.
Record is captured ball bearing cup and cone design. Centaur uses cartridge type sealed bearings. Record is user serviceable in that you can repack the bearings with grease. With Centaur, you wait for them to wear out and replace. Both willl roll smooth, the record will last longer if you do the maintenance. Record is also lighter.

I have a new Centaur hub on one of my commuting wheel sets. It doesn't have the normal campy finish, more of a industrial look. I rolls just fine.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
yup - this is assuming the current models.... centaur rear is around 300gm and record around 230g...

my advice is don't get the centaur ! get the veloce ! u heard right... it is the EXACT same hub, but with the older skewers... the centaur gets the modern campy ones that can be found on many of the current campy wheelsets.... as far as built wheels go sans skewers/tape etc, ie the normal measuring method - there will be no difference b/w veloce and centaur... u can save a few bucks...

Normally i would advise record no doubt, but since u are obviously building that 32x front and rear (if you wanna stay with campy hubs in the front), with dt 1.2s... well thats gunna be a heavy wheel, so i doubt u really care about the hub weight...

assuming dt comp all round w/ alu nips, and centaur hubs you're looking at around 2058gm or around 1963gm for record... all revolution/record would come out around 1835g...

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
Save money and get Chorus. Just as good as Record, and people won't laugh at you for being a rich wanker.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
yes correct... chorus is no more... and good luck sourcing the once awesome pre-06 loose-ball trio of centaur chorus and record NOS.... they used be be indentical and only differed by weight...that said, new record hubs are now lighter than they were, now competing with DT 240s, and can be had for reasonable money given the quality/weight/made in italy....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.