Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just curious what is your fastest method to recover from a hard ride. What needs to be done so I can ride hard again. Typically, it will take 48hrs of complete rest to recover from the muscle soreness but the muscles will turn sour very fast during the ride. Maybe another 24-48hrs to be fresh again.

I do stretch and take about 3-400 calories immediately after every ride . Typically how much calories do I need to take in after the ride? Thanks.

·
50ft. Queenie
1,154 Posts
teddysaur said:
I'm just curious what is your fastest method to recover from a hard ride. What needs to be done so I can ride hard again. Typically, it will take 48hrs of complete rest to recover from the muscle soreness but the muscles will turn sour very fast during the ride. Maybe another 24-48hrs to be fresh again.

I do stretch and take about 3-400 calories immediately after every ride . Typically how much calories do I need to take in after the ride? Thanks.
for rides longer than 2hrs, add a little protein to your mix.

what are you recovery rides. most "recovery" drinks are formulated with a 3:1 or 4:1 carb to protein mix. try taking your 400 calories within the first 30mins....then another 400 cals (good time for a small meal) an hour later.
3-4 days recovery from 1 hard ride seems like alot.
if i race both sat& sun, i usually dont feel fresh again for about 2 days.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
don't hydrate with milk.

i did an intense computrainer last night. Burnt out hard on it. Didn't eat enough beforehand as it started just after work. grabbed a glass of milk when i got home. Thought i was going to thowup or pass out for 2 hours. I was all shakey and cold.

I'll stick with water to hydrate first and get some easy digesting foods in there next.

for your recovery, stretching and a message helps a lot.

i need to take my own advice

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Full recovery

teddysaur said:

Your calorie intake (include some protein) is fine. What is missing from your routine is an easy spin recovery ride the next day. You need to keep the blood flow going for maximum recovery. 48 hours of complete rest is a BIG mistake. Other things to try are massage, which you can do yourself, stretching (if it works for you), and a massage substitute that I find works well: lay on the floor and prop your heels up on a wall. This last technique is similar to massage in that it drains the blood from your muscles, and so when you stand up, you get a very massive blood exchange for your legs. It sounds like it wouldn't be that helpful, but I find it very effective. If you do it two or three times, you can really feel things happening.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
Your calorie intake (include some protein) is fine. What is missing from your routine is an easy spin recovery ride the next day. You need to keep the blood flow going for maximum recovery. 48 hours of complete rest is a BIG mistake. Other things to try are massage, which you can do yourself, stretching (if it works for you), and a massage substitute that I find works well: lay on the floor and prop your heels up on a wall. This last technique is similar to massage in that it drains the blood from your muscles, and so when you stand up, you get a very massive blood exchange for your legs. It sounds like it wouldn't be that helpful, but I find it very effective. If you do it two or three times, you can really feel things happening.

Alternating warm and cold will work even better. In a 3 to 1 ratio, start with hot for 3 minutes, or 9 minutes and then 1 or 3 minutes cold. Do this for a while and finish with half an hour warm. This will alternate flushing blood into and out of the muscles. a heating pad and ice works great as does a hot tub or bath and ice for the cold. Just make sure you really hydrate when doing the bath or hot tub.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
Spunout said:
Go to a testing centre or a coach who does lactate testing and do a Lactate Balance Point test. You'll be amazed at how it can guide your warm-down/recovery routine so that you can be ready to go again.

http://www.fact-canada.com/LactatePro/FactTestInfo.html
How does knowing your Lactate Balance Point tell you when you have recovered? - TF

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How long recovering ride takes? I usually go for a short swim of 30mins. Not sure if that will work.

Should I take in the same amount of calories burn? Half of it within 1st hour and another half after the 1st hour?

As for the lactate balance point, I'll skip that. Had fear for needles after being a medic.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
a massage substitute that I find works well: lay on the floor and prop your heels up on a wall. This last technique is similar to massage in that it drains the blood from your muscles, and so when you stand up, you get a very massive blood exchange for your legs. It sounds like it wouldn't be that helpful, but I find it very effective. If you do it two or three times, you can really feel things happening.

I tried this method and it helped me. My legs don't feel nearly as heavy or sore.

·
50ft. Queenie
1,154 Posts
teddysaur said:
How long recovering ride takes? I usually go for a short swim of 30mins. Not sure if that will work.

Should I take in the same amount of calories burn? Half of it within 1st hour and another half after the 1st hour?

As for the lactate balance point, I'll skip that. Had fear for needles after being a medic.
30-60mins LIGHT spin. avoid the hills. if you think you are going to easy, you are probably in the right zone.

i dont worry so much about a recovery drink after a recovery ride. u aint burning much at all. just eat dinner as normal.

·
Every little counts...
3,924 Posts
TurboTurtle said:
How does knowing your Lactate Balance Point tell you when you have recovered? - TF
It can tell you at what intensity (HR) to perform a post-effort recovery at in order to recover better. It does not tell you when you're recovered, you'd have to do it after every ride.

What comes out of the test is that most do cool-downs too easy and too short.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts