Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Jack of no trades
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a new post ride/workout recovery drink. Hammer Recoverite has been great for me over the years, but the price is ridiculous. I'm looking for something similar, a quality product with all natural ingredients (whey isolate, l-glutamine, aminos), but at a more affordable price. I was considering making my own by buying some Nutricost whey, some l-glutamine, and a few other ingredients. I figure by doing it this way I would at least ensure that I'm getting the exact amounts of each in the mix, and not relying on on what is claimed to be inside. Not sure if this is the way to go or not.

So what are your preferred drinks post ride?

·
Banned Sock Puppet
13,615 Posts
I prefer real food post ride.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Look into pea protein and lean protien meats for post workout sustenance. both wont spike your blood glucose and you wont crash.

·
Registered
4,881 Posts
If you can't eat real food, I think you are on the right track. There is no reason you can't mix your own.
I usually eat a potatoe / vegie / small meat meal after a ride, I wait till the next day to have a big meat meal.

·
Registered
21,526 Posts
I'm looking for a new post ride/workout recovery drink. Hammer Recoverite has been great for me over the years, but the price is ridiculous. I'm looking for something similar, a quality product with all natural ingredients (whey isolate, l-glutamine, aminos), but at a more affordable price. I was considering making my own by buying some Nutricost whey, some l-glutamine, and a few other ingredients. I figure by doing it this way I would at least ensure that I'm getting the exact amounts of each in the mix, and not relying on on what is claimed to be inside. Not sure if this is the way to go or not.

I think the professional consensus on this is that there is no magic, and yes, chocolate milk is just as good as any of the high dollar replacement drinks. Not sure what the situation is where real food (fruit, salted mixed nuts, water) is less available than some concoction you put together. Note that when I say "professional" I'm talking about nutritionists and sports science folks who are NOT on the payroll of the sports drink industry.

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
I prefer real food post ride.
Agree. I have some quick go-to foods which I prefer. When I do have a recovery drink it’s coconut water with a scoop of Sun Warrior Vanilla protein powder.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Schuylkill Trail Bum
5,054 Posts
Beer. I'm serious. It has nice anti-inflammatory qualities. And it also lessens any muscle aches. I only drink lager or pilsner after rides. No IPAs or other heavily hopped ales.

·
gazing from the shadows
27,225 Posts
Beer. Beer and tacos.

Consider smoothies. Silken tofu is high in protein, you can add other things as desired, and vary it up by workout/day. Thicker for more of a meal, thinner for more of a drink.

We've done that before, works pretty well. If you throw everything into the blender before the ride, put it in the fridge, it's a 60 second prep when you get back. A thermos will also keep a smoothie cold for those times when you might be riding from a car instead of home.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
13,615 Posts
So do I. But more often than not that's not an option.
I always carry some nuts, dried fruit and plenty of water. Much more nutrition than sports drinks.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Protein. I like the Body Fortress mix that I get at Walmart. Strawberry is my fav. I mix it with skim milk. I like that it's very filling, so it helps me to avoid my other post-ride recovery drink; single malt scotch.

·
Registered
4,881 Posts
What is with the 'protein', I really don't understand what your getting at, please post a peer reviewed paper illustrating the significance of 'high protein recovery diet' for an endurance aerobic workout.
And single malt scotch has what, 0% protein?

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
What is with the 'protein', I really don't understand what your getting at, please post a peer reviewed paper illustrating the significance of 'high protein recovery diet' for an endurance aerobic workout.
And single malt scotch has what, 0% protein?
You are 100% right. No indication for protein following endurance activity.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
I think the professional consensus on this is that there is no magic, and yes, chocolate milk is just as good as any of the high dollar replacement drinks. Not sure what the situation is where real food (fruit, salted mixed nuts, water) is less available than some concoction you put together. Note that when I say "professional" I'm talking about nutritionists and sports science folks who are NOT on the payroll of the sports drink industry.
I am a big fan of chocolate milk after a ride. I don't drink it normally but it hits the spot after a hard ride and makes me feel instantly better

·
Registered
62 Posts
Nothing I have to order online, get in the nutrition section, health food store, or mix. I am not in some training for the big race mode so...Beer and a burger.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yeah I drank coconut water once right after a ride. After about 15 mins or so after I thirstily drank some down, I felt like somehow an air hose had been inserted into my GI tract. You all know the rest of the story....😵

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
Beer. I'm serious. It has nice anti-inflammatory qualities. And it also lessens any muscle aches. I only drink lager or pilsner after rides. No IPAs or other heavily hopped ales.
I dont like any alcohol beverages right after a ride. Agree on the IPA. There is a century I do that is run out of a brewery. The first year I did it it was crowded and I couldn't see what they had. The only think I saw was a IPA so I asked for that. Bad call. This day was super hot and humid. I was dehydrated, tired and hot. That IPA was about the last thing I wanted at that moment. I just couldnt finish it so I dumped it out when I thought no one was looking. Shameful. The next year I got the Hefenweisen which was a better choise.

·
Registered
4,881 Posts
Nothing I have to order online, get in the nutrition section, health food store, or mix.
You may not and that is your choice, but if you are trying to hang, I can guarantee that if you use proper nutrition, you are going to roll faster, longer, and easier. Nothing better than riding fast and pedaling easy.

·
gazing from the shadows
27,225 Posts

Cycling specific and everything.

That's the best I can do in 30 seconds.

·
Registered
4,881 Posts
Alright, now we're getting somewhere. The first report states there is increase recovery with protein, OK. But, that is when consumed with 2g veg for every 1g protein, which means when you look at the plate, it's going to look like all vegetables. 2to1 ratio.
The other report I can't really understand, so it must not be important.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts