Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Banned Sock Puppet
13,593 Posts
Alright, now we're getting somewhere. The first report states there is increase recovery with protein, OK. But, that is when consumed with 2g veg for every 1g protein, which means when you look at the plate, it's going to look like all vegetables. 2to1 ratio.
The other report I can't really understand, so it must not be important.
This is what is generally recommended by dieticians regardless. At least two thirds of what is on your plate should be plant based.

·
gazing from the shadows
27,225 Posts
Alright, now we're getting somewhere. The first report states there is increase recovery with protein, OK. But, that is when consumed with 2g veg for every 1g protein, which means when you look at the plate, it's going to look like all vegetables. 2to1 ratio.

There are four links, not two.

Basically, those studies say carb+protein better than carb after cycling, in terms of performance.

I was serious that it took me 30 seconds to find them, but I did not do more than skim. And I did not take the time to find the best research, nor a summary of all the research out there. So don't take that as the gospel truth or anything.

·
Super Moderator
40,490 Posts

Basically, those studies say carb+protein better than carb after cycling, in terms of performance.

I was serious that it took me 30 seconds to find them, but I did not do more than skim. And I did not take the time to find the best research, nor a summary of all the research out there. So don't take that as the gospel truth or anything.
As an aside, I liked the article you presented about how (presumably non-academic) folks should approach academic journals. Probably would've been a good piece to circulate among the grad students, too. I especially like the part about stopping when the article doesn't make sense any more.

But I do have one quibble:

"If a journal article has made it to publication in a journal article, its methodology will have already been evaluated by two anonymous experts and a journal editor. These people are much smarter than you and they gave it the green light.

You can trust that a journal article’s methodology is sound."

I get the author's point, i.e., that most folk do lack the training and knowledge to adequately assess methodologies, but to just assume the journal reviewers know what they're doing puts a lot of faith in them.

As you know, there are varying levels of (for lack of a better word) prestige among academic journals, functions of the rigor of their review processes, the scholarship and capabilities of the editors, etc. (As you also undoubtedly know, but which some readers here may not, this "prestige" is expressly reflected in the promotion and tenure guidelines for many if not most academic institutions.)

This is a subtlety lost on most non-academics, which has led to the proliferation of ersatz "journals," "policy statements," "working papers," etc., from advocacy groups posing as "institutions" to disseminate them, that are simply propaganda for a particular advocacy position, and they seek to steal the mantle of source credibility from legit academics.

Rant over, going back to my ivoroid tower now. ;)

·
Registered
4,510 Posts

Thanks. Enjoyed all 4 and it’s nice to see an effect. My irrelevant personal experience agrees, I feel better with protein in my coconut water than without. At least I think I do?

What I find puzzling is the lack of confidence in the findings? In one case, attempting to use motivation to explain why you had a result that differed from your previous, almost exactly the same study? That’s kind of a big stretch to toss in? In another, the protein drink had more calories than the carb alone drink? In another, results looked different at different times of the day? Not to discount these findings by any means, it’s nice to see they generally agree.

If folks dive deeper, please share. I read this earlier.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
OK, in my discussion #1 article is actually #3 and #2 is #4. Was there one one single malt whiskey, I missed that one.

·
Super Moderator
40,490 Posts
Thanks. Enjoyed all 4 and it’s nice to see an effect. My irrelevant personal experience agrees, I feel better with protein in my coconut water than without. At least I think I do?

What I find puzzling is the lack of confidence in the findings? In one case, attempting to use motivation to explain why you had a result that differed from your previous, almost exactly the same study? That’s kind of a big stretch to toss in? In another, the protein drink had more calories than the carb alone drink? In another, results looked different at different times of the day? Not to discount these findings by any means, it’s nice to see they generally agree.

If folks dive deeper, please share. I read this earlier.

So (and this may necessitate starting a whole new thread), which is the fastest beverage, chocolate or strawberry milk?

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
So (and this may necessitate starting a whole new thread), which is the fastest beverage, chocolate or strawberry milk?
Haha, everyone knows it’s strawberry but no one is willing to admit it.

Here’s a review, a good starting point...

·
Registered
21,525 Posts
To your original question about protein, it's not about a pure protein recovery, but including some protein in your recovery. Those who advocate pure protein are way off base, but a handful of salted mixed nuts along with some complex carbs (like from fruit or vegies) gives you electrolytes, protein, good fat, and good taste. Why someone would prefer a "tasty" protein shake instead is a mystery to me.

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
Nuts are great! How many? Do you count them or weigh them? Haha

·
Banned Sock Puppet
13,593 Posts

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
I weigh them. I use hand fulls as units.
Haha, me too. Before bed. I’ll just have a handful of cashews... (turns jar upside down over mouth and empties it)

·
Registered
882 Posts
Chocolate milk immediately after ride.

I nice meal heavy in protein once I've changed and cleaned myself up a bit. Preferably a nice medium rare steak and a baked potato, but that's not always available, so suitable substitutes are found.

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
Preferably a nice medium rare steak and a baked potato, but that's not always available, so suitable substitutes are found.
THAT is not 2 to 1 carbs to protien, but I'm not going to try and change you.
edit: I have not drank any milk in 10 years, yeaaak. Well cream in my coffee is an EXCEPTION.

·
Schuylkill Trail Bum
5,054 Posts
The thought of drinking chocolate milk or any other kind of milk after a ride makes me nauseous.

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
It's not being sensitive. It's recalling barfing milk during high school football practice.
I gag at the thought of milk in that situation.... I like milk. I just can’t imagine it as a recovery drink, for me personally. Jack LaLanne was a major milk proponent.

·
Schuylkill Trail Bum
5,054 Posts
I gag at the thought of milk in that situation.... I like milk. I just can’t imagine it as a recovery drink, for me personally. Jack LaLanne was a major milk proponent.

And look what happened to Jack. He died. (Several times)

·
Banned Sock Puppet
13,593 Posts
21 - 40 of 43 Posts