Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
First off I'm in Northern Ireland but hopefully your replies/suggestions shouldn't make any difference if I were across the "Big Pond"??

This year I've had two leg procedures (right knee)...in February I had a bucket tear of my Medial Meniscus repaired that unfortunately highlighted that I have a 1.5cms gap of meniscus making my knee a Grade 3 (4 is bone on bone!!). Second to this procedure I've now had my Infra Pre Patellar Bursa completely removed (last week) and I'm currently laid up recovering from it unable to bend the knee until wound heals...

So, can any orthopaedic types out there give me a prognosis as to my recovery were I can resume my cycling activities?? I was a Cat 1 rider in Ireland and did many miles over my racing career both nationally and internationally. I'm 47 years old and up until procedures still managed 200-300 miles a week either training or leisure cycling.
I appreciate my own consultant and doctor will advise me but its always best to have as much input on these matters I feel, especially from (medical) cyclists themselves.

Thanks in advance,:thumbsup:

Nitemare!

·
Registered
192 Posts
I think a lot will be based on the recovery. I was bone on bone in my right knee. After my second surgery (microfracture), I was non weight bearing for 8 weeks. I lost all muscle in my right leg.

I've got a desk job, so once I was allowed to start walking again, it too me time to get back. Muscle imbalances are a pain, but last year I was riding as much as ever before. Did over 3500 miles and it feels good these days.

Once you start recovery, you need to re-train some of the muscles the basics. Then the tendons get tight, so you need to loosen them up until the muscles are strong enough to do it on their own. You get my point; it is variable and takes effort, but I think you should be able to get back. One problem we all struggle with is that after you get through the recovery, we aren't any younger!

·
Registered
21,725 Posts
Hi all,
First off I'm in Northern Ireland but hopefully your replies/suggestions shouldn't make any difference if I were across the "Big Pond"??

This year I've had two leg procedures (right knee)...in February I had a bucket tear of my Medial Meniscus repaired that unfortunately highlighted that I have a 1.5cms gap of meniscus making my knee a Grade 3 (4 is bone on bone!!). Second to this procedure I've now had my Infra Pre Patellar Bursa completely removed (last week) and I'm currently laid up recovering from it unable to bend the knee until wound heals...

So, can any orthopaedic types out there give me a prognosis as to my recovery were I can resume my cycling activities?? I was a Cat 1 rider in Ireland and did many miles over my racing career both nationally and internationally. I'm 47 years old and up until procedures still managed 200-300 miles a week either training or leisure cycling.
I appreciate my own consultant and doctor will advise me but its always best to have as much input on these matters I feel, especially from (medical) cyclists themselves.

Thanks in advance,:thumbsup:

Nitemare!
Too many variables to predict your speed of recovery but be sure you get some physical therapy where you are taught how to do strengthening exercises for the knee. It's easy to think that as cyclists we have really strong knees but in fact we have certain muscles that are quite strong and others that are quite weak. I was diagnosed with "terrible arthritis" in one knee and with a year and a half of regular knee exercises the pain has been basically eliminated and while my cycling hasn't changed (never had any pain) other activities have improved greatly.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks folks for your valued input. I've already noticed muscle waste on my legs since the first procedure in February and I was aware that this would probably occur....
I've been put into a rehab programme (which will begin when able to bend leg in a few weeks) but I'm guessing it will be standard medical treatment given to all and not particularly specific to my/our sport...
I'm very aware that the front of my leg will be particularly tender as no bursa there to ease friction of skin against tendon and was wondering if anyone could advise if a knee support/protector would be advantageous???
Thanks again to all for your time and replies...!!:thumbsup:

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,981 Posts
My experience sounds similar to yours. I had arthroscopic surgery to repair a meniscus tear. A year later I was bone on bone due to arthritis in the same knee. I had a total knee replacement. I started PT within a week of surgery and was able to pedal a full circle on an exercise bike within about 3 weeks. I started riding at about 6 weeks, but slowly & I avoided hills, even overpasses when I could. I'm 12 weeks out from surgery now & I getting some form back while riding although I still avoid hills, especially steep ones. I'm walking without a limp, but my gait is still quite slow. I still feel pain from time to time & don't have full range of motion yet. The doc, my PT & other people I know personally have all told me that complete recovery, 100% of all issues resolved will take 9 months to a year. I'm 70 years old & I'm feeling pretty good about my progress. There's almost nothing I can't do that I could do when my knee was healthy.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi again,
Yes I too avoided hills etc between my recovery from my meniscus surgery and my bursa removal operation (about 4 weeks). I could pedal OK but obviously I wasn't attempting anything serious In the way of mileage and of course severity of roads etc...
Currently I'm fairly immobile though as the knee joint wasn't entered this time I have more mobility but the front of the leg is very sore still and obviously more tender.
I'm wondering what my leg will feel like in 2-3 weeks time when I can bend it again and how it may affect me as I start cycling again??? Has anyone any ideas on a support/protector for such a case when there is no bursa on the front of the leg...?? (Infra Pre Patellar Superficial)

Thanks again to all for reading and replying I find it VERY informative indeed...:thumbsup:

Nitemare!!

·
is riding in MOPP4
695 Posts
Good quality physical therapy is going to be your best friend. Don't underestimate the power of aquatherapy. Like Kerry Irons stated, there are too many variables to determine how well you will heal with any accuracy. Make sure your physical therapist knows who you are, what you do, and what your goals are. when the time is right, enlist the help of an exercise physiologist.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Make sure your physical therapist knows who you are, what you do, and what your goals are

Hi there my surgeon knew my sporting background and speeded me to surgery in an attempt to have me ready for the World Police Fire Games being held here in Belfast Northern Ireland in August (I'm a firefighter in NI Fire & Rescue Service)...but I'm definitely not going to make them...
That said I'm looking towards my future cycling and if it means an end to competitive pedalling I'm not too sad as I had a great career as a senior Category 1 cyclist anyway...I just want to be able to continue my cycling at a more leisurely pace with the occasional "full gas" effort with the lads...!!!
That said I'm very grateful for the idea of aqua therapy an option I had considered but will now actively pursue through my sporting contacts locally...
I know I'm only into my enforced lay off following my second procedure but I'm anxious not to lose all my condition in the hope I get back on my wheels towards he end of Summer/Autumn...
Once again a BIG thank-you to all feedback and interest in my situation, its VERY much appreciated!! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.