Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been riding a lot more miles, than I usual do, lately (274 km in the past 11 days, a lot for me). This, with my other workouts, has my legs(the muscles) hurting almost every day. I know I need to take a break and let them rest, but I am having so much fun going farther and faster with every ride. Is there anything thing y'all recommend for speeding the recovery a bit, to keep me on the bike as much as possible. Thanks.

·
Registered
21,725 Posts
I have been riding a lot more miles, than I usual do, lately (274 km in the past 11 days, a lot for me). This, with my other workouts, has my legs(the muscles) hurting almost every day. I know I need to take a break and let them rest, but I am having so much fun going farther and faster with every ride. Is there anything thing y'all recommend for speeding the recovery a bit, to keep me on the bike as much as possible. Thanks.
Lay on your back with your butt right next to the wall and prop your legs straight up against the wall. Your legs will likely ache after a bit but hold it for several minutes. Lay on the floor until your legs feel normal again and then repeat. It will do your legs a world of good and significantly help recovery. A lot more effective than any "high tech" supplements you might try.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I use a heat whey isolate product already. I will definitely try the legs up wall stretch. And I have not done a recovery ride. Mostly because I know nothing of them. Might do one in the morning. Going to stretch now. Then sleep thnx.

·
Registered
172 Posts
how is your diet? its all about the protein for recovery. im not just talking about shakes. you need to try and eat around 1gr. for ever lb. of body weight. its a pretty proven fact. your muscles need it for recovery. im a lifter, and if i dont eat enough every day i can tell my recovery time suffers.

chicken, egg whites, greek yogurt, granola, protein shakes, and basically more of that. lol.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hope it's ok to ask a question here. I usually ride Mon, Wed, Fri mornings. Do about 60-70km. I'm 70 so that is enough. I have been reading about recovery rides. I don't do them, can't the next day. Besides if I leave home any direction, I have to climb going out and coming back. No flats around me. I have not noticed sore legs as such, I'm just tired after the ride and the rest of the day. Any advice?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
how is your diet? its all about the protein for recovery. im not just talking about shakes. .
my diet is good, could be a little better :D . Seriously though, I take a protein powder and follow the 1g./1lb rule. I used to lift, until I ended up with a double. hernia. I think I am just not giving myself the recovery time I need. I am taking a short recovery ride this morning, learned a bit about them last night.

·
Registered
172 Posts
ok good. most people dont eat or drink nearly enough for what the body needs if using it for performance. i forgot to add. since you used to lift im sure your pounding the water also right? ounce per lb of weight minimum. helps flush the lactic acid, get toxins out of the body.

other than that, i think everyone is different. age plays a factor etc.
im a big guy. 6'3 230lb built. my legs usually dont give me problems on recovery but im still "young" 31 and in above avg. shape..

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
c.rod, I think age is a bigger factor with me, I am 45. But I am in above average shape, especially for my age group. Most of my friends from the past are way outta shape. And as far as water goes I drink a lot of water, coconut water and gatorade. I am probably doing all the right things for recovery, just really need to let the legs rest and rebuild for a bit :D.

·
fu
2,424 Posts
How hard do you ride? Have you been riding every day for 11 days straight? If so, your rides are pretty short. You could try increasing the distance from time to time. When you start doing 40-50 miles at a time, 15 miles or 20 miles becomes a piece of cake. You could also try taking a day off here and there for recovery. What other workouts do you do and how intense? Maybe you're over-training. It's hard to tell without knowing the specifics of your workouts.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Hope it's ok to ask a question here. I usually ride Mon, Wed, Fri mornings. Do about 60-70km. I'm 70 so that is enough. I have been reading about recovery rides. I don't do them, can't the next day. Besides if I leave home any direction, I have to climb going out and coming back. No flats around me. I have not noticed sore legs as such, I'm just tired after the ride and the rest of the day. Any advice?
Consider a nap after your ride. When I ride hard or long a nap generally gets me back in shape for the rest of the day.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Glutamine, use to take that when I played ball in highschool and worked out every day. I got ripped and was 6 foot and dunking. But honestly I would not take supplements unless you were competing. Just get protein from natural sources. Sometimes the body needs rest days. Simple as that.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Inversion table - or rest day.

·
Registered
21,725 Posts
how is your diet? its all about the protein for recovery. im not just talking about shakes. you need to try and eat around 1gr. for ever lb. of body weight. its a pretty proven fact. your muscles need it for recovery.
This is a way-high number. Study after study has shown that 0.7 gm per lb. of body mass per day is all anyone needs and more than most need. For recovery (shortly after exercise) the general recommendation is 4 gm of carbs per gm of protein. Weightlifters are notorious for excess protein intake.

·
Registered
172 Posts
This is a way-high number. Study after study has shown that 0.7 gm per lb. of body mass per day is all anyone needs and more than most need. For recovery (shortly after exercise) the general recommendation is 4 gm of carbs per gm of protein. Weightlifters are notorious for excess protein intake.

whoa cowboy....lol. i said "around" 1gr per lb. body weight. i actually probably get closer to .7 on most days when "life" happens. those studies are always somewhat flawed also. someone that sits in a desk/compared to someone with a physical job will need 2 different intakes. yes i agree most serious weight lifters eat/drink to much protein. im pretty sure it also depends on what effect your trying to go for.

almost forgot. personally i actually did a metabolic test (cant remember exact name). they hooked me up to a machine, wearing a mask, just sitting breathing after fasting for a certain period of time etc. to figure out what your body needs. last time i had it done i was at 1.1gr per pound protein per day at 220lbs.

·
Registered
223 Posts
The opposite of this.....most people eat/drink too much. You're not an elite athlete and therefore don't need any additional supplements/protein etc. A balanced western diet has more than enough of everything.

You don't flush lactic acid, its an energy source and is used up by the body....usually within minutes, and has nothing to do with your sore legs.

11 consecutive days is alot, if u must ride every day make every 3rd ride an easy 'breathe through your nose' ride.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Have you tried compression socks or calf sleeves post-workout? I think they help with recovery; certainly my legs are fresher and less sore if I wear sleeves overnight after a hard ride, and full calf compression socks the next day at work.

No need to buy the expensive sports ones--Amazon and other websites have solid ones for $20-30. I prefer the Futuro brand that are under $20. You want at least 25-30 mmHg compression. IMO the best fit guides have you measure your calf at its widest point.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.