Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always ascribed to the fewer but more intense rides/miles - more of a personality thing compounded by schedule (kids, business owner etc.) So, I'm somewhat used to riding hard a few days per week - recovering, riding, etc.

But after races - mtb races - I'm just wiped out for two solid days. Some numbers... I'm 42. As an example, Sunday's race was about 90 minutes. My BPM average was 167 for lap 1 (first 46 minutes) and 169 for lap 2. Max was 178. Temps were mid 80s. Hydration was good - finished with a bit, averaged 24 oz/hour. Cramping - had just little "flutters" toward the end; nothing significant. My max HR is "likely" 185. I have never seen it above 181 but I've held 180 for over 2 minutes so, it has to be a beat or two... or three above that.

I took Monday off - well road 2 miles in flip flops with the kids... When I rode Tuesday with my usual group, I was beat - just didn't have it. I'm also pretty sure this is normal - just want to strategize post race training.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think you guys nailed it. That effort - the race Sunday - was about as close to a full effort, e.g. nothing left in the tanks, as I could've hoped for. I felt good but beat at the finish - no performance hindering cramps. But when I got off the bike, I couldn't walk - if I straightened my legs, my quads would lock... I was done. 10 minutes later, I was fine - tired but find. I felt as good as I ever have during and post race (a trip to the podium always helps too).

I really need to experiment with the type of rides in those next couple days that work for me. I think I went out too hard after that one day off the bike. I felt slow and was tired the rest of the day - after only a 90 minute ride.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I always try to take in lots fluids even if I feel like I hydrated adequately during the race. Usually, this consists of basic carb/protein mix. Within 30-45 minutes, I try to take in 20-30 grams of protein - this can be solid, e.g. beef jerky or a big ole bottle of chocolate milk.

I don't do the massage thing. And usually get 7-8 hours of sleep that night.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.