Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Diphthong
4,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My only "A" race this year is our state's hill climb championship. The actual race is 27.4 miles with 6,600ft of climbing to a peak altitude of 14,130ft. I've driven the entire course in a vehicle but never on a bike. I'd like to either pre-ride the entire course (54.8 miles roundtrip) - or - pre-ride the upper part of the course by starting at a different spot. If I choose the second option, total mileage is 67 with 7,100ft of climbing.

My question is if I choose to do this pre-ride, how far out from the race should I do it? Is the weekend prior too short of a recovery time? Is two weeks out better? Should I push it back even further? The race is 6 weeks out.

· Registered
343 Posts
Bulldozer said:
My only "A" race this year is our state's hill climb championship. The actual race is 27.4 miles with 6,600ft of climbing to a peak altitude of 14,130ft. I've driven the entire course in a vehicle but never on a bike. I'd like to either pre-ride the entire course (54.8 miles roundtrip) - or - pre-ride the upper part of the course by starting at a different spot. If I choose the second option, total mileage is 67 with 7,100ft of climbing.

My question is if I choose to do this pre-ride, how far out from the race should I do it? Is the weekend prior too short of a recovery time? Is two weeks out better? Should I push it back even further? The race is 6 weeks out.
Mt Evans.
Just go out and ride it this weekend. Enjoy it, it's a great ride. You'll probably want to ride it again before the race - because it's such a great ride.
Just do not hammer it within 10 days of the race.

· Registered
21,834 Posts
Do it again

Bulldozer said:

Actually, Mt. Evans is 14,240 ft (4,315 meters) :)

The thing that really gets people about this climb is the altitude as much as the total amount of climbing. If I were you, I would do it for the next 3-4 weekends to gain experience: pacing, weather, altitude, feeding, etc. would all benefit from knowing the road. The effects of this kind of altitude tend to vary widely from one person to the next, so we can't really tell you whether you'll be affected for a few days or more.

· Diphthong
4,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kerry Irons said:
Actually, Mt. Evans is 14,240 ft (4,315 meters) :)

The thing that really gets people about this climb is the altitude as much as the total amount of climbing. If I were you, I would do it for the next 3-4 weekends to gain experience: pacing, weather, altitude, feeding, etc. would all benefit from knowing the road. The effects of this kind of altitude tend to vary widely from one person to the next, so we can't really tell you whether you'll be affected for a few days or more.
The road on Mt Evans only goes to 14,130ft. If you want those last 110 feet, you have to hike it. :D

I ended up doing two pre-rides of the course. Last weekend I did the entire ride up from Idaho Springs and got a ride back down. This past weekend I rode from Echo Lake to the top and then rode back down to my vehicle. It was easier the second time and I don't think that was just because I cut out 13 miles of the climb.

I learned a lot about water and feeding on the pre-rides. Some good news is that I didn't run out of gears, even at the top. The big factor for my pace is going to be the lack of O2.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.