Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ride with several doctors, and they all seem know know an awful lot about performance enhancing drugs. Of course it may come with the territory of being a doctor, though most of these guys have specialties that seem to me would not involve PEDs.

So I got to thinking, do recreational riders dope? I imagine yes, as there are folks with more money than brains, and ego means everything.

Anyone have any stories about this subject?

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
Einstruzende said:
So I got to thinking, do recreational riders dope? I imagine yes, as there are folks with more money than brains, and ego means everything.

Anyone have any stories about this subject?
Assuming "recreational" means anyone who isn't a pro. I've known plenty of mountain bikers who smoke pot while riding. I'm pretty sure a guy I raced against in mountain bikes was using some sort of amphetamines. A friend of mine (also one of the pot smokers) routinely would take a pull on his wife's asthma inhaler before we went out for rides. I've seen a few guys at road races who almost certainly were taking anabolic steroids.

·
haole from the mainland
5,966 Posts
Hell, yes, I believe there are plenty of folks that use substances that are on WADA's banned list. If men will take ****** I have no doubt they'd use some testosterone cream. After all, our society seems to be very focused on 'anti-aging.'

I myself use Flonase a few months of the year because of allergies, and the active ingredient (fluticasone propionate) is on WADA's list. I've heard of competitive age groupers trying to get a TUE but they generally don't seem to get any response.

·
Impulse Athletic Coaching
5,758 Posts
Anyone hear of the Bianchi/Grand Performance team?

You'll occasionally get the occasional guy in a group ride spill to someone he thinks is his friend that hey can hook him up, or that he is getting great results from getting "vitamin shots" or "anti-aging treatment."

It's not hard to know a lot about doping, especially as a cyclist. As a doctor, I'm sure many worked with cancer patients in a round during residency. Hell, even many people who do blood draws would know how to dope -- and have the tools to separate RBC/plasma.

·
Reality Star
930 Posts
I think you need to make a distinction about PEDs and good medical supervision. For non-racers the concept of health and preventive medicine are well established.

Medically, you would never let a thyroid hormone deficiency go untreated. For the same reasons, testosterone deficiency leads to a plethora of both acute and chronic diseases, many of which are life threatening, and should be corrected with the same precision and attention. Without any hesitation, I would say that the individual whose testosterone deficiency was properly corrected, would now perform physical tasks better. But being a non-racer, the major benefit is the prevention of disease due to a testosterone deficiency.

If you ever stopped at the coffee shop before a ride, you are using caffeine as a PED. If you suffer from any type of asthma, it would be foolish not to take a puff of your inhaler prior to a ride.

If you have been ever given cortisone for any reason and it put you into adrenal hypofunction, why would you not want it corrected and enjoy better health? How many of your doctors even bother to check?

The women's movement has been way out front with this issue and as result they have been enjoying the benefits of hormone replacement for decades (albeit, not always done properly). It is time to take hormone replacement for men seriously, and change the archaic concepts of our fathers' generation..

·
Banned
608 Posts
Steroid use is rife in the general population whether they are recreational cyclists or not. For the most part it is for looks rather than performance. If you get past a certain age then recovery becomes extremely important. The guys doing roids have a huge advantage over those who don't.

I knew a couple of guys who were using EPO and the most competitive events they ever did were local centuries and the MS150. I don't think either had ever raced at all, not even a time trial. Total posers. The chief reason it appears they did it was to be a big dog during the lunch hammer session. They were both real type-A yuppie a-holes.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I do. I love it. It’s great. I don’t even ride much but when I do ride on the weekends or outside of commuting to work, I smoke/eat (in baked goods) the devils lettuce. It’s so much fun, to me. I don’t feel as tired, I don’t feel sore, I am really attentive and I don’t feel sore or tired after. I’m not entering any competitions so I don’t see what the problem is. It also helps me gain strength and gives me goals to beat when I’m sober riding. There isn’t such a difference where I’m totally in awe about the whole thing, it’s just that I can notice how MORE tired I am after riding. How my legs are killing me after riding but after a stoned ride my legs just feel a little hot and I’m totally relaxed.
Since I’m paranoid when I’m stoned I always pick the safest routes and the safest choices. When I’m not, I’m just riding any route that will get me there the fastest. I don’t take certain choices into consideration. I will jet across the street or cut cars off when they are making right turns. Sounds stupid, I know. People can throw the Bullsh*t flag on that if they want but I personally enjoy it more.

·
Big is relative
11,901 Posts
I rode with a few guy back in the 90's who routinely did anabolic steroids in the late winter/early spring to build strength. They were naturally type A+ personalities and the steroids really sent them over the edge. Group rides usually had at least one of them screaming at someone for not working hard enough. In the cat 2/3 world, there were no drug tests unless you did nationals and that was random.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
BTW hormone replacement in women has been on the wane in recent years as more research has muddled the cost benefit waters.

I find the idea of testosterone replacement in men intriguing, but men die younger for a reason and a lifetime bathed in extra T is a pretty good guess why. On the other hand the only reason we live as long as we do is to maximize reproductive success within the limits of our current genes. Potentially, higher T levels could tell your body you are still doing your reproductive duty and need to be kept around a while longer. Kind of a coin toss, but if your GF is 15 years younger than you the choice is obvious (though the GF should be increasing your levels too, especially if you only have sex once a week).

·
Registered
663 Posts
I've always been wary of expressing my true opinion about this issue, but the more I think about it the more I am convinced that doping takes place at all levels. Certainly, when I was racing in a small pro-am team in South Africa in the late 80s, the majority of the full-time pros were on the goods and a large number of the amateurs were also enhancing their performances with anabolic steroids and amphetamines.
I live in the UK now and I still race as an E/1/2 amateur. I am certain that some riders dope routinely, although I would say they use little more than amphetamines. I’ve heard from a reliable source that a large number of veterans in SA are doping, given that many of them are ex-pros and they know how to go about it.

·
Yo no fui.
8,486 Posts
Taking performance-enhancing drugs to ride a bike faster when you don't race professionally rises to a new level of patheticness.

Drug use in the pros is sad as well, but at least it's somewhat understabible due to the incentives involved. But doping to win a cat. 4 race or drop your bros on a kunch ride, or finish a charity ride faster? Are you kidding me? Absolutely pathetic.

I'm not taking about being healthy, just taking some extra pharmaceuticals for the primary purpose of biking faster. Lame.

Smoking weed while mountain biking can be fun, but I'm hard pressed to view that as "performance enhancing." Although I recognize the trouble you get into with definitions.

·
Back from the dead
20,800 Posts
The stories I've heard is that recreational riders are more likely to be doped up with large quantities of NSAIDs than PEDs. I know they have tested top finishers at Ironmans, where the bulk of the field is doing it "for fun," and have seen massive levels of Ibuprofen and other NSAIDs.

·
Bea Arthur's Army of Evil
236 Posts
mohair_chair said:
The stories I've heard is that recreational riders are more likely to be doped up with large quantities of NSAIDs than PEDs. I know they have tested top finishers at Ironmans, where the bulk of the field is doing it "for fun," and have seen massive levels of Ibuprofen and other NSAIDs.
+1. A guy I used to race with would eat Ibuprofen by the handful, like candy, before each race. I thought his stomach was going to bleed.

·
Banned
3,262 Posts
I had to go to a urologist about 8 years ago for an issue unrelated to PED's, and I started talking to the doctor and he did some blood tests and told me my testosterone was on the low normal side and prescribed the patch. It didn't do much. After a month on that I was on Andro gel (transdermal T) for 2 or 3 months. I'm 5'9" about 175 and pretty lean. People started to notice the difference in my face and neck. Harder look. Also, I felt a little pumped up all the time, nothing major but I wasn't training much at the time, only a little running and light calisthenics. I wasn't crazy about the way it made me feel, a little hyped and on edge all the time. I definitely think that in addition to the obvious physical effects of steroids, there is just as significantly, a big mental effect and dependence on them. This urologist seemed very anxious to get me on HRT. He worked with another urologist who seemed to have the exact opposite opinion on hormone replacement therapy, a conservative approach. For the most part doctors seem to encourage taking medication these days which I find kind of ridiculous now. A few years ago I was all for experimentation, but I've changed my outlook...

Went off it and was retested on my testosterone about 3 months later. It was up to a more average level.

A lot of things can cause low testosterone, one of those is mental stress. Maybe using small amounts of transdermal testosterone might not be a terrible thing, but to be getting steroid injections or using heavy duty oral steroids is nuts unless you have some severe medical condition which warrants it.

·
Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
10,086 Posts
I have had several people (mostly riders but some other sports as well) come into my clinic looking for a doctors script for testosterone or other PEDs. Most are testing the water and often leave when I ask what type of bike they ride and what groups they ride with and do they know a particular rider. Sad but true.

·
Registered
79 Posts
What does anyone think about Ephedra?
has anyone tried it before.

It is an otc easily available at any drug store for Bronchial problems -ask at the prescription counter. 25mg per caplet.

Also, is Taurine an enhancer of any type.
Do drinks like redbull, etc just increase the heart rate, and do nothing else.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.