Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize if this has been covered recently, but my search didn't come up with anything related to recreational cyclists, only those who are training for races.

So the question revolves around those who ride for fitness and fun and are not hindered by weather or work more than what might normally be expected. Here in Texas, we haven't been getting hardly any rain, so I would be thankful if I got caught out in a shower, but I digress.

Personally, I work an M-F 8-5 job, so I have time to ride about an hour or 2 each weekday and then wide open on weekends (at least more so since I don't particularly like riding in the heat of the day). I just got back into road cycling and my first week I managed to ride just over 100 miles. I want to compare notes to others to see where I might like to set some goals, particularly since I would like to start doing a charity ride every so often. Ultimately, I want to do the MS150.

· Registered
1,134 Posts
bikerboy - I'm in the same bag as you... kinda.

I work 8-5 too, at a youth summer camp (playing ball, swimming, etc) When I'm out for the day on a ride, I try to do a minimum of 25 miles. This would be a decent 175 mi/week if going on mere calculations. Oh. I also commute to work on non-pool days. Add however many miles for that. This weekend was kinda crappy due to rain, but I got in about 86 miles.

I've been trying to hike up my time on the saddle since I was recruited for my college's cycling team (but that doesn't start for a bit)... If I hit 250 mi/week, I've scored. Anything under...."at least I rode".

· Adventure Seeker
5,123 Posts
I've had about 15 days ride time since I got my bike about two months ago. So far I've logged about 220 miles with the same MS150 goal. I work over 55 hours a week and have a family. Thankfully my wife supports my dreams of riding. And fm528 between Alvin & Friendswood is an excellent ride.

· Registered
758 Posts
Ya ride when you can.

I have a job in field sales. The hours aren't regular, but I probably average 50-60 hrs a week. I'm on the road 1-3 days (and nights) a week, so can't ride every day. On the weekdays that I do ride, I usually try to do 1 1/2 to 2 hours in the late afternoon. The weekends are boom or bust. For instance, I did 100 miles this three day weekend - 75 on Friday and 25 today. Did a hilly 50 last weekend. But there are some weekends that don't include cycling for one reason or another. So it's not unusual for me to do 150 miles one week and 25 the next. All of that said, I've averaged about 80 mi per week over the last couple of months.

· Premium Member
21,853 Posts
My wife and I ride 300-400 miles a week for our recreation. Figure about 40-60 miles a day during the week and a couple a centuries or a long ride most weekends.

Sometimes more.

· Registered
500 Posts
MB1 said:
My wife and I ride 300-400 miles a week for our recreation. Figure about 40-60 miles a day during the week and a couple a centuries or a long ride most weekends.

Sometimes more.
Must be nice to have time to do that. I'm lucky if I can get in 50 miles a week. With a job and two kids, I rarely have time to ride.

· Registered
55 Posts
I work from home and basically can dictate my days hours.

My day starts at 4 30am...ride all the horses by 7am and then try and do a minimum of 30km a day. Then off to do my consulting.

Weekend I'll do a big ride ( if not competing on our horses) of a approx. 100 - 120km round trip.

So I guess on a good week I can do 200km.

Purley fitness, the bike gives my horses a break from carrying my ass around
:D

· Registered
5,844 Posts
One of the best ways to consistently increase your mileage is to bike commute. I average about 140-150 miles/week year-round, about half of that mileage from commuting. During warmer months my mileage increases because there is more daylight and better weather for longer rides on weekends, but I'm still able to ride 125-130 miles/week even during winter by commuting.

· Registered
1,002 Posts
I'm in Texas, too, and work 40-50 hours a week. I also just got into cycling about 3 months ago. I'm hoping to get in 400 miles in July.

Typical day is commute to work by bike, 6 miles.
Longer commute home, 8-10 miles.
Weekend rides, 20- 30 miles.

I'm also addicted to Spin class, 2-3 times a week, which would be additional "miles" not counted here.

· Short legs spinnin' fast
256 Posts
I get out after work on Tue, Wed, & Thu and then both Sat & Sun, averaging about 200 miles/week. I manage to get this in despite 12 "lost" hours during the work week (the time it takes from when I leave for work until I get back home). With a little shorter work day I'd bump my miles up by 50-75/week. Granted, I don't have kids and have a wife who's quite understanding of my need to get out and ride, so that definitely works in my favor.

· Registered
15 Posts
IAmCosmo said:
Must be nice to have time to do that. I'm lucky if I can get in 50 miles a week. With a job and two kids, I rarely have time to ride.
Same here. I try and ride my fixed gear 10-15 miles 3-4 days a week. Trying to stretch the rides out a bit more now that my legs are coming back (off bikes for about 15 years and just back into it at the beginning of May).

· Registered
801 Posts
Billy516 said:
Same here. I try and ride my fixed gear 10-15 miles 3-4 days a week. Trying to stretch the rides out a bit more now that my legs are coming back (off bikes for about 15 years and just back into it at the beginning of May).
Same here. I have way too many interests and hobbies. I think I need to break them up into seasons and let summer be my riding dedicated season.

· Registered
1,055 Posts
I work 7:30am-4pm...Ride 350km a week, but now will be getting closer to 450km a week...I'm starting to commute twice a week by bike...Besides that I ride in the evening, with a long ride on Saturday and a shorter recovery ride on Sunday...

· Yo no fui.
8,486 Posts
It varies, obviously, especially with mountain bike rides. Howver, I ride 200 + miles a week, enerally around 8-12 hours a week. Nowadays, I commute 15 miles each way to work almost every day, which accounts for a lot of it.

· Meow!
1,449 Posts
I work until 4:30 most evenings and am able to ride several nights after work and, weather premitting, both weekend days. I'm usually somewhere in the 150 to 200 mile a week range. It just depends on the week and whether I'm actively training for an event. I have a little over 2600 miles for the year (from early March). My long rides have gotten longer this year but my weekday rides are almost always between 20 and 30 miles.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.