Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Recumbent Stems

785 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Akirasho 
#1 ·
So, my family has a Vision R40, that my parents bought for my dad and me. Middle of last summer, I was out putting around on it (I used it to go to church and back. Everything else was the DF.), and suddenly the handlebars twisted. No big deal, I thought, so I tightened down some screws, got back on, and it still was screwy - the handlebars were rotating up and down on either side. Small problem when cornering, so I limped it home, stuck it in the garage. This spring mom wanted to start riding the recumbent, and took it into the shop cuz I told her that I would never tighten the cantilever brakes again if she didnt get something better (they were horrid. Off-brand I think, required 3 hands to tighten the brakes...
So about a month and a half ago, we took in the recumbent to get new brakes, and were like "while it's here, we can't figure out what's wrong with the handlebars, they bend. Can you look at that"
2 weeks after we bring it in, it's still not gotten back to us: we call, and Scott (from the LBS) tells us that the handlebars were twisty cuz the stem was broken.
However, Vision's out of business, and they've been looking for a stem that would fit an R40, and haven't had any luck.
Hence, I've come to you guys: Do any of you guys know where we could pick up a recumbent stem that would fit the R40?
It's really important, because my mom keeps trying to ride my 58cm, and the bike shop sized her to a 48... so far she's managed to tear a brake hood, and throw the derailleur off.. I want her off my bike :p

See less See more
#2 ·
estone2 said:
So, my family has a Vision R40, that my parents bought for my dad and me. Middle of last summer, I was out putting around on it (I used it to go to church and back. Everything else was the DF.), and suddenly the handlebars twisted. No big deal, I thought, so I tightened down some screws, got back on, and it still was screwy - the handlebars were rotating up and down on either side. Small problem when cornering, so I limped it home, stuck it in the garage. This spring mom wanted to start riding the recumbent, and took it into the shop cuz I told her that I would never tighten the cantilever brakes again if she didnt get something better (they were horrid. Off-brand I think, required 3 hands to tighten the brakes...
So about a month and a half ago, we took in the recumbent to get new brakes, and were like "while it's here, we can't figure out what's wrong with the handlebars, they bend. Can you look at that"
2 weeks after we bring it in, it's still not gotten back to us: we call, and Scott (from the LBS) tells us that the handlebars were twisty cuz the stem was broken.
However, Vision's out of business, and they've been looking for a stem that would fit an R40, and haven't had any luck.
Hence, I've come to you guys: Do any of you guys know where we could pick up a recumbent stem that would fit the R40?
It's really important, because my mom keeps trying to ride my 58cm, and the bike shop sized her to a 48... so far she's managed to tear a brake hood, and throw the derailleur off.. I want her off my bike :p
I'm not real familiar with the Vision product line, but the nature of recumbents is that they tend to have a lot of one-off custom made parts. When a manufacturer goes out of business, there are problems.

Best I can offer is to check with the Hostel Shoppe http://www.hostelshoppe.com . Good folks, and if they can't help, they might have a line on someone who can. Also, you might try posting your problem on the message boards at 'bentrider online http://www.bentrideronline.com . Somebody there will either know where to get the part, or tell you how to fix it yourself.

#4 ·
I don't have an exact answer for you, but I have two Visions (42 and 50) and use a modified USS system on one (the 50)... you can get a feel for it in this photo...

This is essentially an old quill road stem stuck in the steerer "backwards" with a riser type MTB bar (along with old Profile Jammer aerobars) with accessories mounted to said... works like a dream! The only caveat is, the turning radius is a tad larger than stock... but it's almost never a factor.

#5 ·
Some things are best kept private around here...

The better way to phrase it is "I know a guy who has two Visions...." ;)

But seriously, what's with the Jammers? That I don't get at all.

Now, I know a guy with a V-rex that has toyed with the idea of aerobars once or twice, but USS? I must be missing something.

#6 ·
danl1 said:
Some things are best kept private around here...

The better way to phrase it is "I know a guy who has two Visions...." ;)

But seriously, what's with the Jammers? That I don't get at all.

Now, I know a guy with a V-rex that has toyed with the idea of aerobars once or twice, but USS? I must be missing something.
Here are a couple of pics of the modified steerer (sorry, no photos of the original for compare and constrast).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.