Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
9,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have no idea which forum this belongs in, but I’m getting desperate. I picked up a pair of Sidi Genius 5 Lorica Road Shoes just before the shop closed. I came home, installed the cleats and was ready for a brief ride before a long one early tomorrow. I feel like a total idiot, but I cannot seem to open the top (ratchet) strap. The book says to press on both sides of the red thingy, but the strap does not seem to want to release. I am being somewhat careful for fear of breaking them.

What in the blank am I doing wrong? Four different people around here have read the instructions and given a try without success. I know our faces will eventually be as red as the buckles, but I sure what to put those shoes on at 6:00am tomorrow. HELP Thanks

· Lizzie will ride free
3,156 Posts
Try this to release a little tension first. Press alternating sides of the little ratchet release while PUSHING the strap a bit tighter. The push both sides down and pull it out. You need to "unload" a little tension before the release will work.

· Registered
9,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.........

Thanks all. I was mashing the heck ouf ot those red releases - then with a simple press "toward the foot" - bingo.

These guys must have written VCR manuals in a previous life!:D

· Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
I have a pair of Sidi Genius's after riding Shimanos for years & years. IMO/IME that ratchet is just stupid, stupid, stupid.

· Registered
154 Posts
Mr. Versatile said:
I have a pair of Sidi Genius's after riding Shimanos for years & years. IMO/IME that ratchet is just stupid, stupid, stupid.
The idea behind it is sound enough - basically if you just squeeze one red thingie, your strap will loosen 1/2 a detent - this might be useful in a riding situation where you have tightened up your shoes but have over-tightened them. Instead of losing all the tension you just back off the strap 1/2 a detent. Now whether this is useful in real life is anyone's guess - I've certainly never done it ;)

· Registered
625 Posts
Never knew that...

Srexy said:
The idea behind it is sound enough - basically if you just squeeze one red thingie, your strap will loosen 1/2 a detent - this might be useful in a riding situation where you have tightened up your shoes but have over-tightened them. Instead of losing all the tension you just back off the strap 1/2 a detent. Now whether this is useful in real life is anyone's guess - I've certainly never done it ;)
Just tried it... thats neat .... thanks...

· tofurkey hunting
4,734 Posts
don't worry, i spent a good deal of time "checking the fit" on the shoe by "feeling the snugness" when i tried them on at the lbs. each inspection offered another chance for me to NOT be able to loosen the ratchet, while hiding (yeah right) the fact that the shoe was clearly stuck on my foot. eventually, my "careful" caress to check the craftsmanship of the shoe opened the strap enough to where i could get it off cleanly.

so happy with my new shoes, a bottle or so of wine that evening convinced me that they were so snazzy that i should wear them while relaxin on the couch. i thought i was going to have to sleep in them...alas, fortune smiled upon me when the light bulb finally went off.

i proudly report that i can now both put on and take off my sidis with no problems. glad you got it worked out. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.