Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about up grading my current setup on my bike which is a 9 speed Ultegra group with either a full Red group or a mixture of Red and Force groups. If i was to do the mixture what items would you do Red and which would you do Force. Thanks for the help!

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,955 Posts
Honestly, I would do the Red Cassette, and everything else Force.

For the money, that cassette is the best. The Best.

For the money, the gruppo as a whole, Red tells me I should save some bucks for other things like another bike.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
I went Red/Rival after much research and thought. The total weight of the gruppo didn't change all that significantly and I think I eliminated potentially fragile/high replacement cost parts.

I went Red on the shifters and cassette and Rival everywhere else. KMC chain. Getting the bike back from my LBS today after final adjustments/tweaks, but based on the basic build I did, no issues and the bike is still plenty light.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Red shifters
Force derailleurs
Ultegra cassette
Ultegra chain.

The Red cassette is the only SRAM cassette I'd consider, but from my experiences, the Ultegra cassette is just a little more consistent, and about one-third the cost.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I just made this decision. I went with a mix. I don't think it gets much better than this:

Red Shifters
D/A Brakes/Cranks/Chain
Force Cassette (11-26), Derailleurs

I don't worry much about cassettes, they are all too similar to take sides.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I would have went Red Shifter and derailluers, DA cassette, KMC 10 speed chain, and Zero Gravity brakes.

SRAM still does not have their groupo working up to the standard of Campy or Shimano. The DA Cassette and KMC chain brings it to the point where it is. I think they will have the bugs out by the time they release 2nd gen Red.

Shimano chains are not as dependable as Campy or KMC.

Zero Gravity's work great, save weight and look cool.

Ray

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
red brifters for sure. i love how comfy their hoods are. the folks at competitivecyclist told me that 2008 force components may get a bit cheaper in the near future because the 2009 rival incorporated most of its features and people will be overstocked on the force.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.