Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There was a pretty bad crash right from the onset as the riders got up to speed. Apparently, the motorcycle stalled out in the middle of the course, not the type of thing you want to see in a race where the riders have no brakes. There are a few views of this if you scour the internet.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Motor bikes should not have been used. Not the first time a motorcycle was implicated in a crash at a race event.

Also in looking at this time of event, with the tight turns, fixies and no brakes and close quarter cycling that crashes are part of it. Maybe this is why spectators are drawn to it?

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Motor bikes should not have been used. Not the first time a motorcycle was implicated in a crash at a race event.

Also in looking at this time of event, with the tight turns, fixies and no brakes and close quarter cycling that crashes are part of it. Maybe this is why spectators are drawn to it?
While I'm sure that's part of it, the cycling aspect sure has its pull as well (at least for me). Another cool thing about it is the NASCAR-esque way the race is; all out, drafting, jockeying.

Agree about the motorcycles. I wonder if e-bikes wouldn't be a better alternative?

·
Registered
5,360 Posts
I saw that video on a non cycling site and was wondering what happened.

Why even have a motorcycle in that race? It looks tight already with just the racers. Seems there's excess motorcycles in every race these days.

·
Registered
873 Posts
That was as bad an incident as I have seen. I am really surprised that no one picked themselves up off the tarmac and laid into the moto guy.

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
if you watch the second video I posted, you can see right from the start there were guys yelling and pointing at the moto to put his kickstand up so he could start the bike. I'm no moto driver but I can guess the kickstand is sort of a safety feature.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Watching at the office, I don't have audio, but I watched both of the videos and can't see anything definitive about the Kickstand being down. The first video, from the rear, I don't see one at all, but I'm not sure what it would even look like on that particular motorcycle.

·
Crank Addict
1,943 Posts
For what I've heard... there were some accidents during the women's race and it was stopped/restarted. The thinking is that the pacer moto was left running and as the guy lined up out ahead of the for the start of the men's race, the engine died because he ran out of gas.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts