Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
834 Posts
It's pretty punishing...and they save the very worst climb for the end, when you've got nothin' left. The halfway point ends in a rest stop just outside of Taos; you have to have prearranged pickup. Having not done so, and realizing I didn't have it in me to do the full century just then, I turned around, and went up Garapata Pass again. Arggh! 3 miles of rilly steep climb. Then, once you turn off Questa back to Red River, it's ALL climbing, the whole 12 miles. Point being, unless you've trained for it, just end the ride at Taos. Sane and doable. Really...this century is insane! There were lots of people walking their bikes, that last brutal climb before you swoop back down into Red River. Some of the most beautiful views you'll ever ride thru.

· Registered
567 Posts
As others have indicated, there is no "official" half century, you just end the riding where you desire. You can also take the edge off the ride by skipping the out and back to Black Lake giving you a ride of around 84 miles. This option still leaves the climb up Bobcat pass starting at mile 90. It's only 5 miles, but it is a bear so late in the ride. Many people will be walking their bikes in the steeper last 2.5 miles. If you haven't trained for the mileage and/or you don't live at altitude, then be cautious. It is a beautiful ride however.

Birddog

· Registered
2,620 Posts
Birddog said:
As others have indicated, there is no "official" half century, you just end the riding where you desire. You can also take the edge off the ride by skipping the out and back to Black Lake giving you a ride of around 84 miles. .....Birddog
The Enchanted Circle Century has been the culmination of my serious cycling schedule for the last 20 years. It is an awesome ride!

Several years I did the 84 miles, since in the "good old days", the out & back was to the Rio Grande Bridge. That wasn't much fun with the motorhomes and camper trailers all coming back from summer vacation.

The top of Palo Flechado Pass is 55 miles. The last mile and a half (right after the hard right turn) is a little steep. I'd shoot for that point as there is a rest stop there and a big area to park. Of course if you make it that far, you could go down the pass about two and a half more miles to the Angel Fire cutoff. Also a good place to get picked up.

· Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So if im understanding everyone there is not a specific 50 mile route that brings you back to where you started. thats not explianed very well on there web page. maybe well just have to go the distance. I live in roswell not much altitude here. thanks for the replies.

· Registered
2,620 Posts
JMKB2 said:
So if im understanding everyone there is not a specific 50 mile route that brings you back to where you started. .....
Exactly. The shortest paved "loop" on the Enchanted Circle is 84 miles. Any shortcuts would be on forest service roads through the national forest. :D

The Santa Fe Century is similar in that there is no shorter paved loop so if you start the century ride, you don't have a cut off point.

They route the shorter rides by starting the opposite way from the century riders and then having a "turn around" point. The bad thing is the shorter routes for Santa Fe don't get in the mountains and aren't very scenic.

· Registered
567 Posts
I live in roswell not much altitude here
Head over to Ruidoso and do some rides in that area. A couple trips up to the ski area ought to give you a feel for the Enchanted Circle. Make sure you have proper gearing. I'd suggest using a 53/39 combined with a 12/27 at a minimum. YMMV

Birddog

· Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the info. The plan is to do a ride from Roswell to Ruidoso in mid August. my son and I have been doing hill repeats just about everyday. The hills are not long so we try to sprint up as fast as possible.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.