Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently ride with a 6 year old pair of Rudy Kerosenes with the dark lenses. I am thinking of upgrading to maybe a polarized/photochromatic lens setup. I often wondered how well red lenses worked on sunny days, cause most of my riding days are during sunny to mostly cloudy days. I don't ride in the rain much at all. I always thought a red lens would make for a super bright appearance on sunny days-to the point of squinting. Is this not true? My assumption is that a grey or smoke colored lens would work better. What is the consensus on lens color, mainly for clear days?
 

· Registered
Joined
·
14,776 Posts
Red? I've never heard of using red lenses for anything. The usual recommendation for sunny conditions is neutral density (gray) to reduce brightness without distorting color perception. Are you thinking of lenses that LOOK red from the front? That's a function of the reflective coating. They don't look red when you look through them.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
3,477 Posts
I use red/pink lenses for non-sunny days or rides where I know I will be in shadowy/variable light conditions. Like a sunny-ish day on a rail trail with lots of tree cover and extremes between dark and light.

I haven't tried them on truly sunny days where I am out baking in the sun. But I think your assumption of them letting too much light in and making you squint is a pretty good one. In those conditions, I always reach for my grey/mirrored lenses.

I know Rudy is making a photochromatic red lense, but I do not know how dark they get, which would be my concern based on my experience with red lenses.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
krisdrum said:
I use red/pink lenses for non-sunny days or rides where I know I will be in shadowy/variable light conditions. Like a sunny-ish day on a rail trail with lots of tree cover and extremes between dark and light.

I haven't tried them on truly sunny days where I am out baking in the sun. But I think your assumption of them letting too much light in and making you squint is a pretty good one. In those conditions, I always reach for my grey/mirrored lenses.

I know Rudy is making a photochromatic red lense, but I do not know how dark they get, which would be my concern based on my experience with red lenses.
Yeah, the Rudy red photo was the lens I was thinking of. If those get dark enough in bright light such that I'm not squinting, then they may be a good compromise for cloudy and sunny days.
 

· Spicy Dumpling
Joined
·
9,723 Posts
I use racing reds on both pairs of my Rudy's. It works just fine on a sunny day for me. I usually leave them on throughout the summer. I rarely use my light greys. Best thing to do. Go to a Rudy dealer and walk outside with them on and see.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
VaughnA said:
I use racing reds on both pairs of my Rudy's. It works just fine on a sunny day for me. I usually leave them on throughout the summer. I rarely use my light greys. Best thing to do. Go to a Rudy dealer and walk outside with them on and see.
are those photochromatic lenses?
 

· Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
I ride with the non photochromic racing red lenses in all conditions all the time. I have only put the grey lenses in the glasses once and never felt the need again.

I think my next pair of glasses will have the impactx red lenses.

The rudy web site gives the % transmittance range for each photochromic lense color if you want to get an idea.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
14,776 Posts
polarized lenses

I wear prescription sunglasses that are polarized. I have no trouble reading my computer display. I think sometimes you can get an effect at some angles, but I don't think it's a big enough problem to negate the great advantage of polarizing lenses.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
3,477 Posts
JCavilia said:
I wear prescription sunglasses that are polarized. I have no trouble reading my computer display. I think sometimes you can get an effect at some angles, but I don't think it's a big enough problem to negate the great advantage of polarizing lenses.
Agree. I wear polarized rx sunglasses as well (just not on the bike usually) and you will have some angle issues from time to time, but not enough to make you take a pass on the other advantages of polarized.
 

· Two scoops of inertia.
Joined
·
530 Posts
Oakley recommends their red coated lenses for road use. I believe it was for the sake of glare. A budy of mine had Ice iridum lenses years ago and those were insanely dark compared to my black iridium lenses. Not sure if they could have been polarized as I don't see that option now. I think a colored lense will tire your eyes, but a coated lense filters that color. The reason why a red/blue/green lense looks that way from the outside is that it is reflecting those light frequencies. For the sunniest of days I'm sure polarized is great, but I have little experience with them.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
3,477 Posts
Dr. Placebo said:
Oakley recommends their red coated lenses for road use. I believe it was for the sake of glare. A budy of mine had Ice iridum lenses years ago and those were insanely dark compared to my black iridium lenses. Not sure if they could have been polarized as I don't see that option now. I think a colored lense will tire your eyes, but a coated lense filters that color. The reason why a red/blue/green lense looks that way from the outside is that it is reflecting those light frequencies. For the sunniest of days I'm sure polarized is great, but I have little experience with them.
The Rudy's are actually red, not simply coated red. Same with my Bolle's. I'm not sure Oakley offers something similar.
 

· Two scoops of inertia.
Joined
·
530 Posts
krisdrum said:
The Rudy's are actually red, not simply coated red. Same with my Bolle's. I'm not sure Oakley offers something similar.
They have similar. There's more to the oakley lense than the coating, but the coating plays an important part in glare and contrast. I just looked at Rudy's explanation/suggestion page for lenses. It's hard to relate to low light lenses being in FL.
 

· chamois creme addict
Joined
·
1,479 Posts
Rudy Project Photochromatic Impact-X red

I have the RP red photochromatic Impact-X lenses in a pair of Rydons. These glasses are pretty much perfect for all types of light, except for full-on darkness! In very low light they are pinkish, much lighter than Racing Red. As the light intensifies they go to a red color and then to almost a dark purple in bright sunshine. I do not think they are on par with the Laser series of mirrored lenses in bright sunshine, if one is looking for the least amount of light transmission, but they are definitely more dark than Racing Red in bright light.

FWIW, before I had these lenses I often used the Racing Red for everything from dark and wet to bright sun. I have them in a pair of Ekynox and they are still my favorite glasses for really windy and wet days as those frames offer the most wind protection (I wear contacts). But the photochromatic red lenses are even more multi-purpose, the only drawback is the Impact-X variety are not cheap!
 

· Integrated Cyclist
Joined
·
95 Posts
Dr. Placebo said:
. The reason why a red/blue/green lense looks that way from the outside is that it is reflecting those light frequencies.
They look that way because they absorb specific wavelengths, that his the ones you do not see. Yellow absorbs red and blue ... etc.... They are filters, not reflectors.

For the sunniest of days I'm sure polarized is great, but I have little experience with them.
Polarized glasses can make it impossible to read LCDs computer screens. Best to stay away from them. Photochromatics rock.

The key to picking a color is to filter out the things you do NOT want to see. I tried a pair of blue glasses because they were very cheap and it was a huge mistake. They highlight the sky and muted the trail. On the road this probably doesn't matter much since the road is some shade of gray and equally balanced in RGB. Reds, yellows, ambers, these are all great because they absorb blue and you aren't really interested in looking at the sky.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,177 Posts
I use polarized variable bolle shades that go down to 12% and have no prob reading lcd displays. Polarized v non makes my eyes less tired feeling after a longday on the road either in the car or on the bike. Although dark grey isn't the coolest looking lense, I'd say they work best for me.
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top