Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused: Dumb question: Will sticking elastomers/rubber/vibration damping material under my saddle help reduce road buzz? or do they have to be jammed between contact points?

·
Darling of The Lounge
4,796 Posts
lead has good anti-vibration properties! Stuff it with that!
Or purhase one of those tiny bicycles motors the pros use. It fits neatly into the seat tube/bottom bracket area.

Extra weight, dampening properties and huuuge performance gains.

Full of win!

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
:confused: Dumb question: Will sticking elastomers/rubber/vibration damping material under my saddle help reduce road buzz? or do they have to be jammed between contact points?
most people complain about the road buzz to their hands, but you seem to have no issue with hands but with butt. So, are your hands fatter than your buttcheeks???

·
Registered
20,727 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Fatter tires with lower pressure will help overall road buzz. A more padded saddle would also help with road buzz on your butt. Those all carbon saddles with minimal padding transmit a great deal of road buzz.

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
Try dropping the pressure in your front tire by 15 psi. Leave the back alone.

As for the saddle... well, some can do full carbon, I'm not one of them. Some say only shape matters, well not for me. I need padding in a saddle, and more than 1mm or whatever. I need well padded shorts and some padding on the saddle too. I've tried it all ways, just how it is. If road vibration is your only problem with a carbon saddle, and it's comfortable otherwise, maybe you might want to just keep it. For me though it's about more than road buzz, it's a comfort issue.

I don't think the elastomer inserts do anything. I think that Zertz is a joke, another of their marketing scams.

You can do things like getting an Ergon C3 seatpost. It's independently tested as the best at what you're after. Avoid posts like the Specialized cobbler gobbler post, like I said above it's a marketing scam that doesn't actually work.

Your best bet, for sure, is running the biggest tires you can at the lowest pressures you can. Go bigger with tires and you can run less pressure in them. Helps to have wider rims too.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah well...the weight was too good to pass up (115g). But my sworks power saddle is currently on the way, I hope that one fares better.

·
Huge in Japan
455 Posts
lol no, I meant like jamming them in the seatpost (like Look does), or seatstays like those zerts
Darn.

Well anyway like others have said it doesn't cost anything to make sure tire pressure is optimal (unless you have to buy a gage). You should be using padded shorts, are you? Tires may or may not be cheaper than a saddle but if the current ones aren't optimal it's a worthwhile expense. Finally, if you go the saddle route do yourself a favor and measure your sitbones. That is something that you can do yourself and is not difficult at all. Otherwise a saddle purchase can be a shot in the dark. Being able to demo a saddle is a big help here too so talk to your shop about that if you go that route.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts