Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I know this question has been posted over and over again. But now since I'm plaining to upgrade to a Campy Record Group or Shimano Dura Ace? I have to post this question again. Which group should I go for? I currently have a Look 585 frame with Ultegra set-up. I want to get the best comp. to complement my kick [email protected]@ frame!

· Registered
246 Posts
Marcus75 said:
I know I know this question has been posted over and over again. But now since I'm plaining to upgrade to a Campy Record Group or Shimano Dura Ace? I have to post this question again. Which group should I go for? I currently have a Look 585 frame with Ultegra set-up. I want to get the best comp. to complement my kick [email protected]@ frame!
You should have avoided this situation all together. All you had to do was add a vs. SRAM in the title.

· Registered
273 Posts
Go for the custom mix and SRAM

I'd agree with the addition of SRAM in the mix. My choice would be to wait a few more months, then put on SRAM Force at least in the drivetrain. The SRAM carbon crank looks OK, but you could go for a FSA instead, Mmmm, with ceramic bearings. However, the Force group may end up being in such demand that supply will be short for a little while.

Oh, and as for Campy, you would need to wait anyway until that new bottom bracket system comes out for 2007. Why put on a square taper BB only months before they completely get rid of it in their entire line. Or, go with the FSA crank and Campy shifting.
To do something right now, then Dura-Ace is the only choice.

I'm jealous of the 585, its on my short list to look at once I free up these thousands of dollars going out to daycare every month. Its sad when one month of daycare would get me a 585 frame.

· Registered
10,161 Posts
never tried Campy???

If you'd ever ridden Campy, I think you would not have to ask. You either like the ergo lever or you don't. I like them and wouldn't even consider the heavier, larger, more expensive and nonrepairable STI levers with exposed cables.

As others noted, the crank and BB will soon be outdated unless you buy something else (I use FSA).

· eminence grease
18,559 Posts
I will emulate C-40 and directly answer your question - go with Campy. And if you're the slightest bit worried about the disappearance of square taper bottom brackets, put a Stronglight Pulsion crank with an ISIS BB on the bike. A 585 with anything less would be an abomination in God's eyes.

What's my reasoning? I don't have any. I just like Campy better and it gives me great joy to spread the Word and bring others into the Flock.

· classiquesklassieker
3,113 Posts
terry b said:
I will emulate C-40 and directly answer your question - go with Campy. And if you're the slightest bit worried about the disappearance of square taper bottom brackets, put a Stronglight Pulsion crank with an ISIS BB on the bike. A 585 with anything less would be an abomination in God's eyes.

What's my reasoning? I don't have any. I just like Campy better and it gives me great joy to spread the Word and bring others into the Flock.
Terry, I baptize you a Campagnolo Evangelist.

Amen.

· Registered
467 Posts
Funny that you guys bring the SRAM stuff up.....

I just don't see how that stuff is going to do well.$1,800 for the Force group and it weighs more than Record(no suprise there)and is like an ounce lighter than 7800.Yet,it costs 40% more than the Dura ace:confused:

Anyhow,You can't go wrong with either.I have Dura Ace 7800 on a Reparto Course Bianchi I have.I feel like I am driving a 67' Camaro with a Ford 302 in it.....needless to say,I'll be swapping this group to another bike and going Record in the not-so-distant future.However,the Dura Ace stuff is really,really nice.

Personal preference I suppose.

· Registered
333 Posts
The only differences in functionality lie in the shifters; Ergopower shifters are smaller and have no exposed cables, and also shift w/thumb levers. Both groups shift well.

If you want "the best components for your kick [email protected]@ frame", it has to be campy. Both groups may work great, but DuraAce is common OEM, while Record, at least in this country, says "I care enough to choose each component and build the bike myself." Record bikes are rarer, and those who ride them tend to adore their steeds. As you'll have noticed, Campy users tend to be more, eh, evangelical in their adoration. To which I can only say, Amen! Get campy.

· Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the inputs!

Although I like the shifting abilities of the Shimano, I want to try something different in the Campy group. Besides I want the CHI CHI Factor (I like to be unique). I see so many Dura Aces but not many Campy.

Now I just got to chose a WHEELSETS!

· Registered
359 Posts
People who have never seen or used the SRAM group are recommending it? I'm not suggesting the SRAM system isn't good. I don't know. I'm suggesting recommendations should come from solid knowledge and experience not "what I would probably spend my money on if I were in your shoes."

By the way, there is more to Campy than just the way the control levers operate. I've ridden Campy equipped bikes for over 50 years and I've never broken a part. I rode Shimano equipped bikes for 3 years and broke no fewer than 3 derailleurs as well as a handful of other parts. Take an STI unit apart and then an Ergopower unit. It is like comparing a Saturn to a Mercedes.

Now I'll give the OP a recommendation based on personal experience. Since you want to upgrade the drivetrain on a CF bike, I'd recommend using the CF Chorus or Record components or a mix of both. I once had an all carbon bike and I think the consistency of material throughout the build was very appealing. I have both Record and Chorus and I can tell you from personal experience that there is nothing better on planet at the moment. Yes I've tried about everything on the planet - except SRAM which isn't available yet. I'm not a weight weenie so I would steer you toward Chorus which works extremely well, is durable and reliable and is a little less expensive but a little heavier than Record. For several hundred dollars you can buy an all titanium Record cassette and that will handle the weight weenie part if you tend in that direction.

By the way, the Campy carbon cranksets are nothing short of fantastic. I've had FSA, Truvative and Stronglight Pulsion. I'll take the Campy every time. Why? The front shifts are faster and smoother.

Check http://www.eurobikeparts.com. I've bought Campy components from him and found him competitively priced and easy to deal with. I bought my Record group from him and was able to custom tailor all the parts to my preference. I specified crank length, chain ring sizes, cassette gearing, brake caliper color etc.

Good luck with the upgrade.

· Registered
359 Posts
Marcus75 said:
Although I like the shifting abilities of the Shimano, I want to try something different in the Campy group. Besides I want the CHI CHI Factor (I like to be unique). I see so many Dura Aces but not many Campy.

It's pretty hard to beat Campagnolo there as well. The line of wheels is probably broader than any other line in the industry. The wheels are reported to be excellent from one end of the line to the other. Campy has inexpensive beginner wheels and full carbon racing wheels like the Bora that compete with anything on the planet. Campagolo also makes the Fulcrum wheel line. Or you can make up a custom wheelset on Record hubs and have another approach to enjoying Campy quality.

have a set Ventos on one of my steelies. They are pretty heavy but I'm not a weight weenie and find these wheels to be amazingly well made, attractive and strong. Campy has plenty of weight weenie wheels too. Just thought I'd bring it up since we're on the subject of Campagnolo anyway.

· Registered
376 Posts
You are on your way to salvation!

Marcus75 said:

Actually, the main reason I tried Campy was to be different. The reason I stayed was for all the reasons mentioned by others. I'm a true convert.

Now, to REALLY be different, have a set of nice custom-builts done to really set yourself apart! Don't go with the factory wheels (although, if you have to make sure and go Campy or Fulcrums).

· Registered
273 Posts
Campy no ah I mean Shimano no ah I mean campy with d'ace cranks.. Come on man, the frame is the hard part - they are both great - in my opinion the D'ace brakes are superior- but hey opinions are like @#$holes everyone has one.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.