Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bicycles ridden at night must be equipped with a front light visible from 300 feet and a steady-state (non-blinking) rear red light visible from 500 feet. Reflective tape or reflectors must be installed on the back of pedals, cranks, seat stays, wheels and forks. Dusk is at 7 p.m. Riding without lights after 7 p.m. is grounds for immediate disqualification!

Above are the night riding requirements for an upcoming ride I am doing. I have a couple bikes I will bring. One for day riding and one for night riding. But I may want to switch at night so both bikes will be set up for the rules. I am OK with F&R lights and wheel reflectors and I believe my ankle bands will do instead of pedal reflectors

But I do not want the reflective tape to ruin or mar my paint job so wondered if anyone has put reflective tape on their frame then taken it off without any problems?

A couple things I have thought of are.

Put electrical tape down first then the reflective tape on the electrical tape.
For the seat stays and fork, cut a piece of tape the size of a playing card then wrap around the seat stay but only remove the backing on the ends. Then stick ends together so the inside part against the frame will not be sticky. I only hope this piece will not move upand down the frame and rub the paint.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks, WIlly in Pacifica

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
Look for a wide sheet of reflective stuff. Wrap it completely around the tubes, then tape it at the top and bottom of the sheet and as necessary in the middle. Nothing attaches to the bike.

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
wily in pacifica said:
Put electrical tape down first then the reflective tape on the electrical tape.
This gets my vote--it's the first thing I thought of. There might be some kind of adhesive tape to use under your reflectors that would be even easier to remove (masking tape?), but electrical tape is a good choice.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
reflective tape

The electrical tape option was my first choice for the cranks. I guess I will have to drop by a LBS to see if they have any of those spoke reflectors we all throw away. I also dawned on me that the rules say "reflectors or refelctive tape" so I might be able to find the clamp-on type of rear reflectors taht come on kids bikes and mount them on my seat stays instead of tape.

willy

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
innergel said:
Get some of that blue painters tape from Home Depot. That stuff is made to be peeled off without leaving any residue.
I like this idea the best. Wish I would have thought of it before I put reflective tape on my commuter. Not that I want to take it off or anything but if I did try it would be impossible.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts