Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gregg:

Well we are here on the new forum, and after using it for about a week, here are my observations (FWIW):

1.) Ease of Use/Look & Feel. I find that, for me, I can't just "Hit & Run" anymore. I used to be able to click into the old general (or non-cycling) forum, and quickly see not only what the newest topic was, but also where the conversations were going, who was responding, & what I had already read. This made it easy to "Pop-in" for a few minutes, see what was going on and stay current. I can't do this anymore. As a result, I find myself only visiting when I have more time. And when I do visit, I get frustrated at how much time I have to devote just to get a sense of what's going on. Hence, I visit less...etc, etc. I know I'm not the only one experiencing this.

2.) Uniqueness. RBR's uniqueness was defined by #1 above coupled with the community itself. I'm glad to see that so many of the regulars are attempting to "stay connected". I hope, in spite of #1 this continues.

3.) Additional features. Other than Avatars & signitures, I have not used, nor seen the need to use, any of the other "New" features. Maybe with time that will change, but so far, they are extraneous.

4.) Editing. In message editing is a big help. Definite plus.

It seems to me that if this is a database based application (which I assume it is) that being able to have a summary page in the same format as the old forum (topics, subthreads, sorted by latest response) should be possible. Clicking on either the thread or the "View all" to read what you want to read and respond using the existing new features would give us the best of both worlds. How big a deal is this?

I "generally" like the look & feel of the new forum, unfortunatly, the one thing we lost turns out to be the main feature that I relied on. Get that back & this will be a home run. It will also continue to distinguish RBR as the best forum on the net.

Let me know if I can explain my vision in any way that will make it clearer.

Len

·
cyclist
7,904 Posts
Thanks for the feedback.

Hi Len,

I understand what you're saying about #1. The reality is that these new boards are not the old boards, and they are not layed out like the old boards. Yes, it will take some getting used to, possibly longer than a week. One thing about the old forums is that in "view all" mode, it was impossible to tell who was responding to who. But people got used to it, and learned to accept it. I feel that this will also be the case with the different flow of conversation on the new boards. So, with the exception of the Hybrid mode (within threads), that is the closest we can get to the old boards with this system. But, the point is that these new forums are not the old forums, but they have their own set of advantages and look and feel.

In regards to #2, that is dependant upon all of you guys. The community on this site is only as good, or as big as the people who make up the community. There are things I can do to help, but ultimately the choice is yours.

For #3, I think one of the best features is the subscription feature. I can save a lot of time, by constantly checking the boards after I make a post. Now the forum comes to me, so to speak. I can follow the threads without having to go into the threads to read them 20 times a day. Avatars and signatures are indeed extras that are now offered, along with an extensive profile. You are free to use them as you like. If you don't like them, you can simply not use them.

Thanks again, Len, for the feedback. With the exception of the Hybrid mode and the new "sort-by" latest thread option, we will not try to change this forum to look like the old one. It is our hope that people see the advantages of the new forum and stick with our community here.

I hear and read and understand the dislike for the new forums. But I stand by my statements that the new forums are better. I appreciate the time it takes to write out your opinion. Especially when it comes from board regulars that I know, like yourself.

-gregg

Len J said:
Gregg:

Well we are here on the new forum, and after using it for about a week, here are my observations (FWIW):

1.) Ease of Use/Look & Feel. I find that, for me, I can't just "Hit & Run" anymore. I used to be able to click into the old general (or non-cycling) forum, and quickly see not only what the newest topic was, but also where the conversations were going, who was responding, & what I had already read. This made it easy to "Pop-in" for a few minutes, see what was going on and stay current. I can't do this anymore. As a result, I find myself only visiting when I have more time. And when I do visit, I get frustrated at how much time I have to devote just to get a sense of what's going on. Hence, I visit less...etc, etc. I know I'm not the only one experiencing this.

2.) Uniqueness. RBR's uniqueness was defined by #1 above coupled with the community itself. I'm glad to see that so many of the regulars are attempting to "stay connected". I hope, in spite of #1 this continues.

3.) Additional features. Other than Avatars & signitures, I have not used, nor seen the need to use, any of the other "New" features. Maybe with time that will change, but so far, they are extraneous.

4.) Editing. In message editing is a big help. Definite plus.

It seems to me that if this is a database based application (which I assume it is) that being able to have a summary page in the same format as the old forum (topics, subthreads, sorted by latest response) should be possible. Clicking on either the thread or the "View all" to read what you want to read and respond using the existing new features would give us the best of both worlds. How big a deal is this?

I "generally" like the look & feel of the new forum, unfortunatly, the one thing we lost turns out to be the main feature that I relied on. Get that back & this will be a home run. It will also continue to distinguish RBR as the best forum on the net.

Let me know if I can explain my vision in any way that will make it clearer.

Len

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the feedback......

Gregg:

Thanks for the response.

I'm sure you have your reasons, but it's a shame that you are so rigid about not finding a way to replicate the one feature that people seem to want.

As to a week not being enough time, I hope you are right, but I've been on Bikeforum.net & serotta for a couple of months. They are similar to this and have not "grown on me" as I had hoped. Flipping back and forth between them & the old RBR, and it was a no contest comparison.

Using the "subscribe to" feature is a non-starter for me. I already deal with oover 200 e-mails at work daily and don't need more clutter in my in box.

I'll keep trying, but I have to say, while I understand the need for an easier to administer forum, and support it, it's a shame the users have to sacrifice so much usability.

I sure hope traffic picks up.

Len

·
cyclist
7,904 Posts
Ahhh...I think I understand your issue now, and the answer is simple.

It is not technically possible to adjust the boards the way you mean (threaded view of all topics on the main forum.) Believe me, Len, if it was possible, I woulda done it a long time ago!

Thanks for your comments, and I hope you hang with us. I know you've been around for a long time.

-g

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.