Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for some tires, 700c, with a reflective sidewall, to use while commuting this fall and winter.

I know they exist, but I can't find them.

Any recommendations?

And are the tires any good as tires -- good ride, performance, etc? Or are these a weird product best avoided?

·
Registered
603 Posts
Lots of companies do actually make them, and if you're commuting I'd definitely recommend puncture resistant tires. Here's the ones I know of:

My local bike shop has the Panaracer TServ tires in sizes down to 25c. They're puncture resistant, long lasting, and can come with reflective sidewalls. I have the older non-reflective sidewall version and I think they're great. Results vary, but since I got mine, I've had no flats on the outside of the tire (though I still seem to have 1 a year on the inside - I gotta get around to replacing that stuff on the rim that protects the tube from the spokes).

As someone else mentioned, if you looking for a more racy and but less durable and less puncture resistant tire, I've been told the Continental GP 4000s also come with a reflective sidewall in 25c.

As for ones to avoid, I believe the Specialized Armadillo puncture resistant tires also come with reflective sidewalls. I've great great things about them being far more puncture resistant than those other 2 tires I mentioned. I've also heard, though, that their ride quality is absolutely terrible, so I wouldn't get them unless you're blowing out a lot of tires on your commute.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Continental Top Contacts have a reflective sidewall http://biketiresdirect.com/productdetail.asp?p=COCLJ

I them some back in May for tooling around town on my cross bike. I've only ridden on them a couple of times(new baby at home and work is bonkers right now). But I can't tell if it is the geometry of my cross bike, the way I ride, air pressure or the tire itself, but when I lean over into a turn, it seems like the tire has steep transition between the center and side. Or at least a transition that I am not used to on my road bike. On my road bike, I just lean and not think about it, these I have to think about. Hopefully sometime soon, I'll be able to mess with the air pressure.

1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This one was too tall

I ordered a pair of Michelin tires, City, I believe, in 700-32, but they wouldn't fit on my fork.

I had measured to be sure the fork was wide enough for a 32 — I'm currently running 28s — and the Michelin City fit fine in width. But I didn't know that the tire would be so tall — it rubbed against the top of the fork, so tight that the wheel wouldn't turn.

OK, those are now on their way back to REI.

So now looking for some 700-28s with a reflective sidewall. One thing I didn't like about the Michelin was the chunky tread. I'd prefer something smooth or close to it. Chunky seems to be the norm -- Panaracer Tserv comes recommended, but I wasn't sure of the tread. I don't want to be squirming around on top of the bucktooth rubber.

I've seen a few that were semi-smooth — Continental had a nice one that showed up on a search — but they have not been in 28 (most were larger sizes, a few were only in MTB dimensions).

No hurry, but if anyone has more recommendations, please post.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.