Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
What the Hell is going on
5,527 Posts
Cool Beans

That looks cool. How much for the tires?

My El Cheap-o solution was to put 3M reflective tape on the rim. I only have it on the rear wheel 'cause I just built up the front.

0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tires were $33 each

So, not expensive at all.

Mine are 700-28.

Barely fit in the front fork -- plenty of width left, but the tires are a bit taller than what I had before.

But ... they fit, and they ride well, too.

I see it as a major boost in visibility, especially from the side, which is where I don't have any lights.

·
sometimereader
1,202 Posts
Keeping up with Junior said:
...from the side, where it does not matter, just like wheel reflectors.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Check out lightweights.org too. They sell these nifty stickers that wrap around each of your spokes, reflect like crazy, and weigh practically nothing.

I like the look of those tires though....may need to track down a pair when the current set eats it.

0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
"from the side..."

"...from the side, where it does not matter."

That's funny you would say that, because I've got good visibility from the front and rear but I worry about cars pulling out from the side and clipping me.

I take care to glass them with my helmet lights, but sometimes they pull out anyway.

I think the tires will help keep them at bay.

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,806 Posts
Feel Good

Slim Again said:
... I worry about cars pulling out from the side and clipping me...
Side reflectors are more feel good than effective. Your helmet light approach is far more effective.

http://www.johnforester.com/Articles/Lights/cpsc9602.htm

Forester said:
... I replied that if the wheel reflectors shone in a motorist's headlamps, either it was too late to avoid a collision or, if a collision did not occur, the cyclist had left the motorist's path before the motorist had reached the cyclist....

·
waterproof*
41,613 Posts
My rims are v-section, not deep but just the basic triangle shape, so I put reflective tape between the spokes on about half the wheel (front and rear). I had my wife follow me around one night in her minivan, which has about the weakest headlights I've ever used. She said when she was behind or front-on to me, the wheels were very eye-catching b/c they are always wobbling a bit side to side, and the intermittent effect was very noticeable.
FWIW.

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
Depending on a passive method of being seen is about dumber'n a box of rocks. The helmet light idea is mo bettah.

Just like loud pipes... but that's another website!

M

0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Keep them doggies rolling...

These Panaracers have a section, about 8 inches, that is not reflective on each sidewall (you can see that in the photo I posted). So a dark spot goes round and round and round.

This way, drivers can tell at a glance that these are wheels that are rolling.

Nice design.

0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Other tires

I found a number of tires with reflective sidewalls, but these were the only ones I could lay my hands on that were smaller than 700-32.

I tried a pair of 700-32 Michelins, but they were way too tall, thus these 28s.

These Panaracers are nice tires. I would think Continentals would be as well.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
jmoryl said:
I think Continental is now making a version of the GP 4000 with reflective sidewalls too...
Yep. I have 'em in 700x25. A 5mm reflective band all the way around.

Creaky and JaeP's approach of reflective bits on the rim is amazingly effective from all angles. A bit on the front and back of the crankarms does wonders, too.

Powered lighting is important, but this stuff is far from useless. Often more visible than blinkies from the rear. Front, not so much, and side, simply doesn't matter because of timing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.