Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm ready to build wheels for the upcoming cross season. I need to choose rims and need to decide between Reflex and Reflex CD.

I have Open Pro CDs on my rain bike, they are decent, tho the CD coating is wearing off after 1000 miles.

Not like I plan on getting 1000 miles on these wheels..

Thanks in advance,

Tim in Portland
 

·
TheHeadlessThompsonGunner
Joined
·
523 Posts
dead flag blues said:
I'm ready to build wheels for the upcoming cross season. I need to choose rims and need to decide between Reflex and Reflex CD.

I have Open Pro CDs on my rain bike, they are decent, tho the CD coating is wearing off after 1000 miles.

Not like I plan on getting 1000 miles on these wheels..

Thanks in advance,

Tim in Portland
Yeah, but you DO plan on getting 100 muddy miles on them. 1000 miles is NOTHING. Chains last longer. If you're wearing through said high-zoot coating in 1000 miles on a rain bike, I would think VERY seriously about putting them on something which a) you're going to beat harder and b) are going to demand a higher level of performance from in the first place (and accordingly be more disappointed when it rubs off in 100 or 1000 miles).

That said, I've never ridden CD rims: I've never been left wanting by Open Pros. And having said that, I think most of Ambrosio's offerings are nicer than most of Mavic's. The only thing that might sway me, if my heart were set on a Mavic product, would be whether or not the CDs had a machined surface underneath (but then, I can't remember if regular Reflex now have machined braking tracks...).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, Applesauce. I'm not too familiar with Ambrosio products.. Which tubular rims of theirs do you suggest?
Fwiw, my Open Pro CDs appear to have machined surface underneath CD coating.
 

·
TheHeadlessThompsonGunner
Joined
·
523 Posts
dead flag blues said:
Thanks, Applesauce. I'm not too familiar with Ambrosio products.. Which tubular rims of theirs do you suggest?
Fwiw, my Open Pro CDs appear to have machined surface underneath CD coating.
It's up to you: Cronos are obscenely light, Montreals obscenely tough, and Nemeses in between. The Nemesis has the nicest finish, in my opinion. But you might nose around on eBay, and see what vintage(-ish) stuff comes up. Aluminum tubular rims haven't changed in 20 years.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys,

One more thing.. My training wheelsets are Open Pros. Would Ambrosio or Neuvation have braking surfaces in the same place? Don't want to have to adjust pads when I change wheels.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,762 Posts
Applesauce said:
It's up to you: Cronos are obscenely light, Montreals obscenely tough, and Nemeses in between. The Nemesis has the nicest finish, in my opinion. But you might nose around on eBay, and see what vintage(-ish) stuff comes up. Aluminum tubular rims haven't changed in 20 years.
Sure about that.
going by weight I would assume they would go
Cronos-Montreals-Nemesis being the toughest.

I have some Excellight SSC clinchers. They are so much nicer than Open Pros.
I would guess the tubluar offerings would be the same.

See if you can find some FiR ST120's. Another nice, solid tubular.
 

·
TheHeadlessThompsonGunner
Joined
·
523 Posts
pigpen said:
Sure about that.
Is that a question? If so, then no, I'm not absolutely sure about that. I could be wrong. I do know the Cronos are c-raz-ee light.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
714 Posts
i just got some record/ambrosio nemesis

tubies...they're doing duty as my road race wheels right now with challenge criterium tubulars on them.

raced them this weekend; the wheelset seems bombproof, corners like it is on rails (ahhhh the tubular feel) and I can't say enough about how great it is.

I train on record/open pros, and the brake pad position is unchanged.

+1000 on these wheels/rims. I can't wait to use them for cross.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
The reflex is wider than an open pro...and pretty much everything else out there. You'll have to adjust the brakes for race day.

That said, I really dig the wider bed on the reflex for keeping big, low-pressure tubies stable.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top