Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have experience with a Regal saddle?A friend just put one on his bike over the weekend.I sat on it and it really felt great.I was wondering if anybody has some riding experience with it.How does it hold up on long rides?The saddle has rivets on the back like a Brooks and really looks sharp.

·
Chili hed & old bike fixr
1,126 Posts
pedlfoot said:
Anyone have experience with a Regal saddle?A friend just put one on his bike over the weekend.I sat on it and it really felt great.I was wondering if anybody has some riding experience with it.How does it hold up on long rides?The saddle has rivets on the back like a Brooks and really looks sharp.
I have many miles riding on Regals and they are super nice. I found that I prefered the feel of the steel rails over the Ti rails. I can't explain the reason.It is a feel thing. They are still available but I do not know for how long. Get your LBS to check with Ochsner Int. 1-800-621-5129.

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
I used them on a couple of bikes, in particular on one of my century bikes. Went to Regals after deciding that Brooks were not for me. Currently they're off the bike and sitting in boxes - just couldn't get past the looks and I discovered I liked Fizik Paves a whole lot more.

Nice saddles, kind of retro, reasonably priced and (for me) comfortable enough.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
I have one...

San Marco makes both the Regal and Rolls saddles as "classics". The new "classic saddles'" come with ti rails and are available in embroidered or smooth leather. I have a smooth Regal saddle I bought slightly used on ebay (ti rails). I have been using it for over a year. It works for me. The leather comes all the way down on the sides, it's kind of domed shaped, long, wide, has a little raised ridge on the back, the rivets are more for show, but they do prevent the leather from pulling up from the rear of the saddle (which happened to me on a Rolls). You can find them for around $65.00 (Excel Sports). But if you check ebay every now and then a used one will pop up (I got mine for $37.00). Mine shows no sign of wear, I touch it up once and awhile with black shoe polish. They also come in white. There is no knowing if it will work for you. The Regal was Greg LeMonds favorite saddle. Mine should last for many years, no sign of wear. I intended on just trying out a used one to see if it would work and ended up keeping it. But one man's saddle is anothers man's torture rack. I'm sure someone will pop up to say that they had one and hated it.....

·
Diesel Engine
898 Posts
I've had 2...

First one was 15 or so years ago, a perforated white one with some sort of cast magnesium rails - they were very large diameter but shaped/profiled to fit in a saddle clamp. It was a great saddle, rode many thousands of miles on it and when I sold the bike in '93 it went with it. Tried a ti-rail Regal a few years ago and it may have been the most uncomfortable saddle I've ever sat on. I rode the "iron maiden" for a few months and finally gave up on it. Now most of my bikes have Flites on them.

One other thing that I noticed with the newer one is that the workmanship was not nearly as good as the old one. That thing was a work of art, the new one seemed cheap to me - leather not adhered well to the underside of the shell, rivets not as nicely polished.

In any case, just goes to prove that you can't believe what anyone says about saddles - even yourself. Only your butt can tell you what is right for it.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Bingo

Dinosaur said:
The Regal was Greg LeMonds favorite saddle. Mine should last for many years, no sign of wear. I intended on just trying out a used one to see if it would work and ended up keeping it. But one man's saddle is anothers man's torture rack. I'm sure someone will pop up to say that they had one and hated it.....
I went from a Brooks Professional to the Regal, perforated leather with the big flat rivets. I saw a picture of Lemond with his Murray and the Regal saddle so I figured why not? I rode it for a year and then switched to a Turbomatic which I stayed on for another eight.

I wouldn't say it was a torture rack but at the time some 14 years ago, I decided to change. It's a nice shape and if it fits, probably a great choice. Mine's in Stateside storage but I wouldn't mind trying it again.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Nice saddle but...

It's a nice saddle. I prefer a Flite over everything else, though. The Regal has a nice wide rear without being too wide up front. I'd expect to get many years if usage if taken care of. Lexol leather conditioner works like a charm to keep the leather supple. A couple of things that might affect using the saddle if it fits...

About 1/3 of the saddle rail is blocked by the saddle since the shell rolls around towards to bottom. This might be an issue if you move the saddle to the rear since the clamp get in the way.

It might be hard to get used to the sort of retro look of the saddle on a race bike. I put one on my TCR and it looked rather peculiar.

hth,
Mike

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
regal etc

i have the regal on two bikes: one ti railed, one cromo. both comfy. agree that the cromo seems more comfy. don't know why. reliable, well-made, don't easily show wear (ti/smooth shows a bit more than the other), and reasonably priced. wide at the back (150mm i think). firm but not overly so. they compare favorably to my brooks b17 narrow saddles, but it's brooks--without a doubt--for all-day rides.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts