Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

please excuse my english , its not my native language::blush2:

my q: i own a ridley crossbow that i enjoy very much but a weak braking power up front
i'm using 4za brakes( avids shorty)

while i'm doing cross the braking is ok but when i'm switching to my road weelset i'm not satisfied.

how the neo-retro brake is doing on the road? how is it compard to caliper brakes?

thanks

os1

·
Registered
475 Posts
neo retro is very good

OS1 said:
Hello

please excuse my english , its not my native language::blush2:

my q: i own a ridley crossbow that i enjoy very much but a weak braking power up front
i'm using 4za brakes( avids shorty)

while i'm doing cross the braking is ok but when i'm switching to my road weelset i'm not satisfied.

how the neo-retro brake is doing on the road? how is it compard to caliper brakes?

thanks
The neo retro works very well, up front, I would say it works at least as well as a regular road caliper brake and stronger then a avid shorty brake, I've had both. The neo retros work best with some clearance with the rim, not too close. Also if they feel spongy or not really strong try swaping the spacers on the pads, worked for me. The neo retro has a great lever feel when set up well-which isn't hard, and is quite strong, heck even the stock pads work fairly well. The adjustment for pad alignment works well and stays centered better then most canti brakes also. They are spendy but worth the cost.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Are your rims the same width?

I have the cane creek SCX5, which are exactly the same as the 4ZAs, and they work great, but have to be set up close to the rim. If you change rims for the road wheelset, does it change the pad spacing?

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Sounds like you need to adjust the brakes rather than replace them. Also, clean the pads and the rims with soap and water. In general, I think you will find the cantilever brakes require you to squeeze the lever harder and don't work as well as the caliper brakes. I would also consider tring a different pad like a Koolstop brand before you give up on your current brakes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thank you all for your kindness

first i'm using koolstop pads

my wheelsets are: cross- open pro rims with chorus hubs and ws db spokes 32 front 36 rear

my road setup is campy sirroco 06 they are a little bit wider than the mavics

os1

·
Registered
165 Posts
i have neo-retros on my cross bike which also does commuter duty - so i have plenty of road experience with them. i don't think they'll ever be as powerful and crisp as my campy dual pivots up front. if you're great with canti setup you might be able to squeeze a bit more caliper-like feel from a canti but i doubt they'll ever feel "as good", i.e. the same.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.