Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a regulary guy ride. I am signed up for some road races - my first ever. I am learning as I go, I have not got a clue, and I am trying to get in shape. So - in short can anyone suggest clubs , training rides etc?

·
Hill repeats, meh
145 Posts
Go to USA Cycling's website and click on Clubs/Teams and then MA, and it will list all the clubs in Massachusetts. Maybe you would want to try the racing clinic that NEBC holds or enter some training races like Charge Pond or Wells Ave (which my club- Boston Road Club runs, which is tenatively set to start on March 12th.) When's your first race?

MK

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
End of April are the first two.

I did see the Charge Pond series. Are those training rides - primers for the season etc. What exactly are they like?

·
Hill repeats, meh
145 Posts
Are they Sturbridge and Palmer? I can't speak for Charge Pond, but Wells is a training crit. I assuming you would be doing the C race, which is 15 laps (0.8 mi. per lap). The course has four gentle turns with a tiny rise in corner two and relatively good pavement. Its a good way to get used to riding in a fast pack, especially getting bumped into. Be smooth, ride predictable, and ride over small potholes and manhole covers: don't weave around them because that is a good way to start a crash. Since it is a training race it doesn't carry any USCF points. It is a great place learn to race. I strongly suggest you join a club that has a Cat.5 team, its easier to learn when you people in the same boat as you. I hope this helps. Good luck.

MK

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes Sturbridge & Palmer. I need to get as much experience as I can so I do not have such a tough time at the first ones that I do (I want to keep doing this and do not want to get too discouraged because of lack of experience etc). I am considering Charge Pond - they have an A and a B race. I assume that B means for less epxerienced etc. Remember I am a CAT 5 no experience ever!!! Everyone has to start somewhere though. As for the Wells I looked the website and it looks like they are expecially trying to attract beginners like myself. Is it a very beginner friendly training race?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Regular Guy said:
I need a regulary guy ride. I am signed up for some road races - my first ever. I am learning as I go, I have not got a clue, and I am trying to get in shape. So - in short can anyone suggest clubs , training rides etc?
Are you close to Worcester? Join the Bicycle Alley team. Or if closer to Westboro I believe Landry's Cycle also has a team. Should be able to find riding partners trying to do the same as you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts