Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm about to go to a bicycle class where i need to be able to run and bike. Just wondering does anyone have a good idea of a good regular shoe that is good for cycling as well?? thanks!
 

· Vintage cyclist
Joined
·
1,005 Posts
I don't think it matters much...

You can go to triathlon stores and drop quite a bit of $$ on whatever they have there. Or you can go to Sports Authority and get something that will work just as well.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
14,776 Posts
they're right. As far as cycling goes, sneaks is sneaks. Doesn't matter much. Any soft-soled shoe is going to be a compromise, but you can manage, especially with appropriate pedals. You want something you're comfortable running in. Everything else being equal, a shoe with a firmer sole in the forefoot will be a little better for cycling than one that's very thin and flexy there.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
let me be a little bit more specific, but JCavilia thanks good info there.

I will be using the shoes about 80% cycling, the other 20% would be walking, running, jumping over walls, shooting, boxing.

I'm going to be using the shoes in a police bicycle training class.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
756 Posts
My beater/commuter bike has rattrap platform pedals, and my favorite running shoes to wear on those are the Nike Pegasus. They have a waffle outsole, and the rectangular "studs" on the bottom of the sole help keep my shoes in the preferred position on the pedal. Being running shoes, they are not particularly stiff though these are probably the stiffest running shoe I use since I actually prefer a flexible go-fast feeling shoe for running.

Not all shoes work well for all people though. Maybe if you're doing it for police work, try using the shoes you'd be on patrol with.
 

· Poseur
Joined
·
1,409 Posts
Most likely the bikes have some kind of platform pedal although you don't mention pedal type. For what you want Shimano, Keen, Addidas and probably Pearl Izumi make MTB shoes that lace up like casual walking shoes and don't have the aggressive tread that some MTB shoes have. If you live near a Performance store, go there and see what they have as they sell all those brands and more.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
591 Posts
Honestly, even with an 80-20 split, I'd wear whatever I was comfortable running/jumping/boxing in and just go with it on the bike.

Bike shoes are about efficiency on the bike and maybe/arguably comfort during high mileage continuous rides. In this scenario you can loose both (unless that 80% means 80 miles ;) ) and really not notice a difference.

You will 100% notice trying to run or jump or anything else in bike shoes, even those commuter shoes that are made to "walk in".

I agree with Milk, use your patrol shoes, or whatever pair of athletic shoes you have around the house and are comfortable in (like a pair of trail running shoes).
 

· Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lelandjt said:
I bet the kind of biking you're gonna do won't require hard/long enough pedaling to warrant a stiffer than normal sole. Any sneaker will work. After all, you're up against a bunch of cops. Never met one that I couldn't outrun and outbike.

Couldn't help but take a dig cuz I just finished this thread: http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=216839
lol i feel you on that thread and trust me I don't blame you, but don't lump us all in one category. In my department alone there are 10,000 police officers, and i've already met some i did NOT like.

anyways thanks for the tips guys. I was hoping someone had a specific shoe that they knew about that had a good sole etc...
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top