Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone wants my advice on this $1,200 bike sold by REI (Alu frame with Ultegra except 105 brakes, 105 front derailleur and 105 cassette.) Never heard of it until just now. Does anyone own this bike and is willing to give a brief review of it?

·
Neophyte
2,190 Posts
Have not ridden but have seen in the store... seems nice enough and decent price. At present REI is the sole US supplier of Ghost bikes, which is a German company.

Buying from REI protects your friend with some great satisfaction guarantee terms and *most of the time* their bike shop staff is pretty good (does depend on store). Plus eventually you get some money back in form of dividend, especially if you use REI Mastercard to purchase.

Sorry that's more of a review on REI than Ghost, but I would tell him to give it a shot especially if it's his first foray into road bike.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Having seen it in person is much more than I can offer my friend, so I'll pass this info on to him. The REI website technical specs are sketchy and in part confusing. But that has always been true of REI tech data (who writes those???) and usually is no reflection of the quality of the product.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I have a novara strada an rei bike. Rei makes solid bikes even though they may seem lackluster. Decent groupsets, decent frame. Definitely a good starting bike the rei ghost brand is just a bit more stylized than the novara.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, pittcanna. The nearest REI is 50 miles away from me and I could drive there, I suppose (still have a license and can see fairly well). But I just don't want to, comes with old age. Perhaps I'll ride my bicycle there and back one day. Yea sure, when pigs will fly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.