Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always had some small problems here and there with my pedal stroke this season where my left leg feels like a piston working perfectly but the right leg feels like its just along for the ride, not nearly as powerful, efficient, or planted to the pedal.

And then, it finally happened...

The last big bike ride of the season ended in injury due to my improper bike setup. I was down for the count, barely being able to walk, and figured this would be a great time to take two weeks away and try to rest and let my injuries heal.

So here I am on the trainer at the start of pre-season all excited to get to business, and instead of logging the miles according to my plan, I find myself gingerly spinning trying to figure out where the problem is. Finally, after two weeks of adjusting shimming and tweaking, I figured out that my seat height was too high, causing the bottom of my leg to 'suck-out' or pull away from the knee-cap at the farthest part of the pedal stroke.

Additionally, I was also able to dial out some rolling of my foot within the shoe as well and feel like I have a clearer vision or feeling of what further adjustments need to be made in order to achieve that perfect pedal stroke.

For any of you that have taken the time to correct any form issues like this in the off-season, do you remember the kind of dividends it paid the following year?

For me, this feels like I had just discovered some hidden secret that only few know about. I can't wait to get back on the road next season and check the results.

That is all.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Your journey sounds inspiring. Personally I get set-up by an excellent fitter at my LBS. He has me feeling great and efficient on the bike. It was like the difference between night and day the first time I got a fitting.

·
Registered
391 Posts
good year to diagnose "mis-pedaling" I suppose!! I went in for a refit on my commuter bike, and video analysis showed I my knees would go from being inline with my crank at the bottom of the stroke, to being almost 2" to the insides(nearly hitting the frame) at the top of the stroke. bad technique mostly, but realigning the pedals and a small seat adjustment and i magically found out why certain muscles never developed or other muscles were always more tense after riding. Now, being more conscious of that, I can feel myself doing more spinning activity(with aligned knees), and also *feels* better than before. I'm goin on two months with the adjustment and it's already felt like a world of difference.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
I didn't do anything really special. I concentrated on being smooth, building strength, scraping the mud off. I always experiment with different cadences, but I always end up with my good ol'e standard, 84-88.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts