Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guy's and gal's,i have a situation here with my American Classic cr-420 deep v-wheelset.The wheels are on my 2005 Felt f2c roadbike that is a 58cm.The bike seems to have a sort flexi feel in the front end when out on a cruise on the flats,i can create this flexing by slightly shaking the bars side to side.Other forum readers have suggested that with my 215lbs 6'2" frame that i get those wheels the hell of of it before disaster strikes,in the form of roadrash.That being the case,Is their any spoke replacements that might strengthen this wheelset,i heard someone say that they did this same wheelset with Sapian Cx-ray spokes.
Any input or possible solutions would be most appreciated........what'd do you all think??
Thanks in advance.:confused:

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
I very much doubt that a couple of mm of side deflection in the wheels is going to mess you up... much more likely it is your stem, bars, and fork flexing... or maybe your bearings are loose. If those components are flexible enough to cause handling problems then get beefier models. These will usually be cheaper, too... and heavier.

CX-rays are very light spokes, so they won't make your wheel stiffer. Unfortunately, heavy spokes won't help much either... but like I said, that isn't your problem anyway. Just out of curiousity how many spokes, and what type/gauge?

I problem you *may* have is breaking spokes if there aren't enough of them. On a deep rigid rim like that though, fewer spokes can be tolerated.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Spinman said:
Hey guy's and gal's,i have a situation here with my American Classic cr-420 deep v-wheelset.The wheels are on my 2005 Felt f2c roadbike that is a 58cm.The bike seems to have a sort flexi feel in the front end when out on a cruise on the flats,i can create this flexing by slightly shaking the bars side to side.Other forum readers have suggested that with my 215lbs 6'2" frame that i get those wheels the hell of of it before disaster strikes,in the form of roadrash.That being the case,Is their any spoke replacements that might strengthen this wheelset,i heard someone say that they did this same wheelset with Sapian Cx-ray spokes.
Any input or possible solutions would be most appreciated........what'd do you all think??
Thanks in advance.:confused:
I think other readers are exxagerating. the slightly flexy feel you get, is that the pads rubbing the rim? or is it the bike moving from side to side? even if you could rub the pads in a sprint, that's no reason those wheels would make you crash unless the rubbing was really really bad. can you descend OK on these wheels?

anyway, Sapim CX-ray spokes start out as 14/16g spokes, they then get bladed. the blading may increase the strength, but it does not increase the stiffness. if you had the stock build, you probably have Revolutions (14/17g), so you would gain some stiffness, but I don't think it would be worth the cost or the time.

·
wheelbuilder
2,220 Posts
weiwentg said:
Sapim CX-ray spokes start out as 14/16g spokes, they then get bladed. the blading may increase the strength, but it does not increase the stiffness. if you had the stock build, you probably have Revolutions (14/17g), so you would gain some stiffness, but I don't think it would be worth the cost or the time.
Sapim CX-Rays, like DT Aerolites, start off as 2.0/1.5/2.0mm spokes. This is the same as Revoutions. That is why they essentially weight the same.

-Eric

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In answer to your ? The brake pads don't rub at all whether in sprint or cornering,it feels alot like the kind of shimmy you get in the front end of your car sometimes.This bike does'nt have 300 miles on it yet and of course i noticed this after my 30day trial period had expired from the LBS.Yes the bike decends ok,and out of the saddle sprints don't bring any of this inherent problem up.I had just heard to get those wheels off the bike based on my size and weight..
Is it possible this frame is not right for me and my poundage?sorry should put this in the frames,bike section. Oh the spokes on the front are 14g and laced with 18spokes,the rear 24 spokes.The aheadset,stem and bars are all set and right...........what a mystery!
Thanxs again for some input,:confused: :cool:

·
wheelbuilder
2,220 Posts
Spinman said:
In answer to your ? The brake pads don't rub at all whether in sprint or cornering,it feels alot like the kind of shimmy you get in the front end of your car sometimes.This bike does'nt have 300 miles on it yet and of course i noticed this after my 30day trial period had expired from the LBS.Yes the bike decends ok,and out of the saddle sprints don't bring any of this inherent problem up.I had just heard to get those wheels off the bike based on my size and weight..
Is it possible this frame is not right for me and my poundage?sorry should put this in the frames,bike section. Oh the spokes on the front are 14g and laced with 18spokes,the rear 24 spokes.The aheadset,stem and bars are all set and right...........what a mystery!
Thanxs again for some input,:confused: :cool:
AC recommends the AC 420 18/24 wheels up to 200lbs. That is with 2.0/1.5/2.0mm spoke everywhere except the rear drive spokes which are 2.0/1.8/2.0mm. They recommend their bladed build (the bladed spokes are the same gauge as 2.0mm straight gauge spokes) up to 225lbs so you are near the recommended limits. The next factor after weight is riding style which is very important. If you are generally light on your wheels you can get away with the build. If you plow over hazards without unweighting the bike, then you might want to consider a more robust wheel.

I recommend trying a different set of wheels (maybe from a friend) and see if you get different results.

-Eric

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanxs Eric,i am as light on the wheels as a big guy can be,basically just a commuter and pleasure/Lance wannabe at times.I'm not too sure that a relace of the A/C cr-420's is going to solve the prior problem or any other for that matter.I'm probably going to do a little more digging into possible handling problems with this Felt F2c and C what's up.......thanxs anyway for the tips......Chris,:cool:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts