Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Trek 1.2 and became a serious cyclist 1 1/2 years ago.
I am self taught in everything is there a site that could help me make sure I am doing things right with pedaling, hills, etc, etc.
BTW: I am already 4000 miles into my sport/hobby

Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
I like Sheldon Brown a lot. He was more of a touring/commuting oriented rider and tends to be pretty practical and not terribly fashion conscious, without going as far as Grant Peterson.

Check out sheldonbrown.com. There are a fair number of articles specifically targeted at beginner cyclists.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Congrats on doing a great job of riding on your own, I think you'll do good at this sport.

Sheldon Brown is great but he doesn't have a lot of training info, so below are some sites for that, but read the Brown site.

My World From a Bicycle: Heat management or how to race when it's hot out.
Abs Workout (1) – Bicycle Maneuver or Bicycle Crunches by MunFitnessBlog.com
CYCLING PERFORMANCE TIPS -
Pedaling Technique and Drills Summary
Training

There are gazillions of sites on the internet and books at the library you can read. Some of those sites above are about racing, you don't have to be a racer to use them, it's all about getting stronger and better while riding and those tips do that without having to get to racing form...unless you want to.

And of course once you start doing that stuff and have questions simply come back here and ask the crowd, we welcome that stuff, and for most of us no question will be considered dumb, though as in any crowd you always have a smart aleck or two, just ignore them.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
I'm not trying to dismiss reading about it and being self-taught......but I really don't think there's any substite for riding in a group with more experienced cyclists and would suggest that.
I don't consider myself a 'new cyclist' anymore but I'm new enough for the memory to be fresh and there was a big difference, for me anyway, between reading and understanding the sport and actually doing it. This is especially true, I found, for pacing. Paying attention to guys with years and years of experiecne taught me when to use energy and how/when to conserve it much faster than I would have got it myself.

I found the book "Bike Racing 101" to be good. Although I read with less experience under my belt than you have now so you may be past the point of the books target audience. I wouldn't say it's overly dumbed down......but 101 is a good title for it if you get my drift.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
I agree, if you have a group you can join like at the LBS in town you can learn a lot...HOWEVER, not everyone has the same schedule, I can't find the time to join a group and ride when they do, it has never worked for me except in my racing days. But my job required OT and out of town travel, and to try to meet a group was impossible, so I've had to ride alone for years. If that is true with the OP then he needs to learn as much as he can and do so by self teaching. And besides even the OP can join a group he should still read the material so he understands what others are talking about and raise questions.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I ride alone almost exclusively. I ride when I can get time and don't like committing to set schedule and when I do ride I like ride my pace and my distance. I hate to slow down for others and don't want to hammer beyond my limits to not get dropped. I don't have the time to just cruise along not pushing myself and if I get dropped because I am too slow then I might as well ride by myself in the first place.

Everyone has thier own desires when it comes to riding. Mine is get out on the bike and push myself. Ride hard and come back tired. Could be a short 20 miler or a long 50 miler. I would like to ride a century one of these days, but with summer here in Az I won't even consider trying it until the winter. So ride with your goals in mind.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Froze and PJ thank you. :)
If at all possible join a group because groups are educational, and they motivate you to do better whereas riding alone you don't know if you can do better. But I like I said earlier I know that's not always possible for a lot of people, so you do the best you can by yourself and study study study so you can work on improving yourself by yourself.

There is an aid available for loners that could help you a lot, and that is to train using a heart rate monitor (HRM). These devices are a god send if you don't know how to do the old fashion way like I do. There are websites that will teach you how to train using an HRM, and the methods used are extremely effective if you follow them religiously. Even if you join a group an HRM is very effective to use.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.