Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’d like to upgrade from my $1,200 carbon Scattante (nice entry model) to a ride with more comfort on the often junky LA pavement & for longer rides. Any feedback on the above bikes? How will a $3,000 model feel different/better than a $2,000 model (i.e. Roubaix Expert v. Comp)? I don't want to buy more bike than I need. Nor do I want to regret saving $1k in a year when I may want the better components, wheels, etc. I'm trying to work up to riding in the canyons. A LBS offers the Elite for test ride for $100, which can be applied to the sale price. No test rides available on the others from nearby shops. I prefer to buy from a nearby shop, where it’s convenient to return for service. Thanks, Terry

·
Registered
111 Posts
First of all find a different shop. Any shop that charges for a test ride is not worthy of your business. I have a Synapse and it is a decent bike. The comfort comes from chain stay and fork design, the geometry is pretty standard.

If you are happy with your current bike in overall ride, handling, power, comfort and fit, put your money into upgrading the components starting with wheels and tires.

·
Banned
1,317 Posts
LOl tell that LBS to go **** themselves. They should pay you to test ride their bikes so they can get a sale. Asking for money to test ride is ridiculous.

Go find a different shop. And i recommend the synapse. Very smooth ride, Synapse carbon 4&5 have beautiful paint schemes and good components all around.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I can only comment on the Roubaix. So, I recently purchased a 2010 Roubaix Expert and I can tell you it has a very relaxed riding position. If you are looking for something which is easy on your back and easy to put lots of miles on, the Roubaix is a fantastic bike. I personaly am recovering from a pretty bad back injury and I rode this bike 60 miles this weekend without any back issues. Also find another shop because all they usually need for a 24 hour test ride is a credit card and a copy of your license.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I test road all 3 of these and I think it will come down to fit. I rode both the carbon and aluminum versions. It sounds like you are looking for carbon, and IMO all 3 of these where very comfortable rides in carbon. I preferred the Roubiax for the more upright position. The Giant Defy and the Synapse both road nice but had a bit more stretched out position. Bang for your buck the Giant had higher end components and a lower cost. Too bad the LBS in your area are so tough to work with. The only good way to decide is to ride.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I doubt the $100 is for a simple test ride. More likely it's to take it overnight so he can put as many miles as he can on it. Probably a test bike. One of the local shops here does the same thing. $50 deposit/rental fee. They set it up and you take it for 24hrs.
As for the 3 bikes mentioned, I rode all of them before choosing the Roubaix. All were excellent bikes I just prefered the feel (and look) of the Specialized over the others

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I appreciate all the feedback. Trbogolf, you are right. The $100 is to take the bike for 24 hours, to ride as much as you like. Their other test rides are merely in the parking lot. I'm going to call a few more bike stores, including Incycle (not so close), but which I've heard good things about. The Synapse has great colors. The Roubaix frame looks incredibly sturdy, & many streets I access to my rides have rough sections. If I buy one of these, is there much of a market to sell my Scattante on Craigs List? Terry

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
anchor47 said:
I test road all 3 of these and I think it will come down to fit. I rode both the carbon and aluminum versions. It sounds like you are looking for carbon, and IMO all 3 of these where very comfortable rides in carbon. I preferred the Roubiax for the more upright position. The Giant Defy and the Synapse both road nice but had a bit more stretched out position. Bang for your buck the Giant had higher end components and a lower cost. Too bad the LBS in your area are so tough to work with. The only good way to decide is to ride.
Interesting. Were the bikes similar in saddle position, handlebars, and stem length? I ask because, in my frame size (54 or M), the synapse actually has the shortest effective top tube of the three. Considering seat tube angles, they should all be very similar in reach from the saddle if it's positioned about the same over the pedals.

I wonder if the bikes that felt stretched out to you simply had longer stems or different bars/shifter position? Based on the geometry charts, you should be able to fit all three pretty much identical by varying normal fit things like the stem angle and length, once saddle position and handlebar type and set up is set.

·
Banned
1,317 Posts
tbsurf said:
I appreciate all the feedback. Trbogolf, you are right. The $100 is to take the bike for 24 hours, to ride as much as you like. Their other test rides are merely in the parking lot. I'm going to call a few more bike stores, including Incycle (not so close), but which I've heard good things about. The Synapse has great colors. The Roubaix frame looks incredibly sturdy, & many streets I access to my rides have rough sections. If I buy one of these, is there much of a market to sell my Scattante on Craigs List? Terry
still not worth $100 to "test ride" the bike for 24 hours. thats ridiculous. You can rent bikes from shops for $20-$50. they want 2x-5x that amount? no way. test ride it around the parking lot. simulate real riding experiences as best as possible. slam on those cranks, slam on the brakes, accelerate hard, shift hard. If it feels great to you and can last, then buy the bike.

as for which bike: i still vote for the synapse for all day comfort riding.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The stem lengths could have been a bit different and the bars that the Giant uses do have a longer throw before the drops. I am sure any of these could be tweaked to get you into a comfortable position. I am saying that with the out of the box set up the Roubiax did have a more upright position but all of the bikes had a comparable ride feel.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I own the Synapse and the Roubaix. Both bike have a great ride. I tried to set them up the same with the same saddle, but for some reason the Roubaix always put a bit more pressure on my backside. Then on a whim I dropped the bars 2cm ... perfect!

These are two great bikes and I'm sure you will be happy with either. I would go with the one that you are most excited about. For me, there is always that intangible "I really want it" feeling.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I just got the synapse carbon 6 based on my budget. I could not be happier. I did not ride the specialized. Plus not in my budget. If not racing I will throw in another oner for 2k check out the jamis endura xenith1, it is the best looking carbon imho. Just go to the jamis site. Also i believe it can handle 3 different sz tires and racks. Fit is the most important thing first not componets, this I found out.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.