Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have an 87 cannondale criterium and I am planning on upgrading to 10speed drivetrain(yes, it has 130mm rear spacing). Anyways, I was thinking of just going with DuraAce downtube shifters because I hear STI is not very good. Is this true, how long do your levers usually last? I dont want to spend all the money for shifters that are only going to last a year or two. I ask because after reading some reviews on this website, they all sound like crap. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
Remember, people with exceptional experiences are more likely to take the time to write a review. Many products "fail" due to poor maintenance or installation or user damage (crashes). And no product is 100% perfect.

That said, I have a bunch of 9sp DA shifters. None have stopped working yet, not even the right one that I have put about 15k miles on. And I shift more often than most riders. My 10sp stuff is only three months old so I can't say about 10sp. I spent many years riding with downtube shifters. The brake/shifters are so much better that they'd have to cost $500 and break every three months on the dot before I'd consider going back to downtube shifters.

·
Registered
6,315 Posts
a bit late

Hum Bum said:
Hi, I have an 87 cannondale criterium and I am planning on upgrading to 10speed drivetrain(yes, it has 130mm rear spacing). Anyways, I was thinking of just going with DuraAce downtube shifters because I hear STI is not very good. Is this true, how long do your levers usually last? I dont want to spend all the money for shifters that are only going to last a year or two. I ask because after reading some reviews on this website, they all sound like crap. Thanks.
This was probably a good question in about 1993, but now that STI and Ergo have been around for 15 years I think the durability issue is kinda moot. Yes, its more fragile than downtube shifters just becuase of the # of parts but most folks get many years and thousands of miles out of them. For most folks the benefits of STI/Ergo outweigh any durability concrens. If your Dale is an '87 I would assume its not 130mm spacing though. Not sure I would bother upgrading a 20 year old Al frame but that is your call

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It has 8speed drivetrain on it and I measured 130mm. Anyways, upgrading to 10speed is not that much when compared to the amount of money it takes to buy a good new road bike.Yes the frame is old, but why replace it if it isnt broken? Plus I am a college student and dont have a couple grand to burn:D Thanks for the opinions guys, maybe I will get some STI shifters after all.:)

·
Registered
6,315 Posts
more than that

Hum Bum said:
It has 8speed drivetrain on it and I measured 130mm. Anyways, upgrading to 10speed is not that much when compared to the amount of money it takes to buy a good new road bike.Yes the frame is old, but why replace it if it isnt broken? Plus I am a college student and dont have a couple grand to burn:D Thanks for the opinions guys, maybe I will get some STI shifters after all.:)
To get to 10 speed is going to take quite a bit though. You probably need: levers, crankset & new BB, rear shifter, probably a front shifter, rear hub and wheel rebuild, cassette, and a chain. After all that you might find you are matching the cost of a new bike. I appreciate your financial position but you might be better off sticking with what you have or perhaps finding an ebay deal on 8 or 9 speed parts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is what I have figured out that I need:
Shifters: $268 (ultegra 10speed)
Cassette: $68
Chain: $35
Rear derailleur: $64
inner chainring for crankset: $24
Front derailleur: $34
Total: about $493
I dont need a new front crankset if I change the inner ring(maybe), I can keep my same hubs(the rear is an 8speed hyperglide freewheel so it will accept a 9or 10speed cassette). I am curious on your opinions though guys. What would you do? Spend about $500 to upgrade to ultegra 10speed, or try and find a bike that is better for $500? I think the later would be hard :confused:

·
Registered
543 Posts
Hum Bum said:
This is what I have figured out that I need:
Shifters: $268 (ultegra 10speed)
Cassette: $68
Chain: $35
Rear derailleur: $64
inner chainring for crankset: $24
Front derailleur: $34
Total: about $493
I dont need a new front crankset if I change the inner ring(maybe), I can keep my same hubs(the rear is an 8speed hyperglide freewheel so it will accept a 9or 10speed cassette). I am curious on your opinions though guys. What would you do? Spend about $500 to upgrade to ultegra 10speed, or try and find a bike that is better for $500? I think the later would be hard :confused:
You could probably save $100 maybe a little more buying the parts, new, on ebay. For example I picked up a new Ultegra 10 speed casette on ebay for $35 plus $5 shipping. A lot of people upgrade parts when they buy new bikes and try to sell them to make up some of the difference.

·
"Cypress Gardens" Fl.
686 Posts
I dont know.............

Hum Bum said:
If your C-dale is an 8-speed I suspect your bike is newer than '87. Most likely early 90's or maybe even mid 90's. That being said, I put nearly 10k on my STI system and it worked flawlessly on up until I switched to Campy. The STI on my bike was the very early 8-speed Shimano '600' STI and it's a '91.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The serial number on my bike is 58022988101. That means its an 88 right? Anyways,I am going to go foreward with the upgrade using STI. I wont be able to buy a new bike for a couple years anyways. When I get a new frame, I can just swap over the 10speed components.:) Thanks for all the info guys.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.