Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Converted Marathon Runner
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for something I can carry with me on my longer rides, where I stray a good 40-50 miles from the starting point.

I don't have a cell phone (one of the few left), and am not sure about the reception out in the middle of a country road in the event of a mechanical. Could be wrong, but am just wondering if there are other options.

I was thinking like a walkie-talkie type of thing, but those 2-way radios only have like a 5 mile range, so that's worthless already.

Those pay as you use them cell phones seem okay though, but they often give you a crappy phone, and again, what if I hit a dead spot. Is there anything VERY VERY reliable that I could consider?

Just taking ideas, thanks for the help.....

·
BS the DC
1,422 Posts
Well, you could buy a satellite phone. I think that's the only way to get almost guaranteed service in the middle of nowhere, but they are REAL expensive, bulky and heavy. A flare gun would be a less expensive option, but, again, you have a distance limit. Carrier pigeons are ok, but a little messy.

Another option would be to wake up, pull your head out and push yourself into the new millenium. The cell phone market is real competitive. You can get a free phone and a minimum rate plan. You'd be surprised at how good a service you can get in the middle of nowhere.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Those pre-paid cell phones are as good as a standard phone-often times the phones are the same as pricier ones. The real variable is the provider-just choose a provider who is the dominant force in your market and who owns the most towers-this will most likely be Verizon. They work well-my folks (dark ages) have one in their car for emergencies.

I do however like the courrier pigoens though-it would be nice to have some company on the longer rides, and if you run out of powerbars...

·
Converted Marathon Runner
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i'm in the right century.......

I'm all about technology, I'm a software engineer, but i have absolutely no reason to pay hundreds of dollars a year, for something that i would use almost never. Yeah, it's nice when you do need it, but I do not want to just flock to the cell phone companies unless there is just no other way.

Unless you can get real phones, like the ones with good reception, and not those crappy phones that can't pick up even if you are next to the tower, those pay as you go phones aren't cutting it for me. But, all of the options for those lower end plans involve crappy phones, so you aren't really winning.

Again, I have never really looked for something and wanted an idea before I just turn to google's millions of results....

Maybe pigeons are the best way to go......

·
Roll Out Jeremy
1,785 Posts
Get a HAM license

One time cost of a handheld unit and a $20.00 license. Patch into cell or landline phones and call anywhere you want. I don't have one but if I was remote enough to be out of cell reception this is the way I would do it.

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
Or you could man up and go bareback...

What we have here, I think, is a generational divide between me and the previous poster--but I've ridden thousands of miles, both road and mountain, without any "emergency" communicator, don't feel the need for one and, in fact, would rather not have one. I live about a mile from the Toiyabe National Forest, three miles from the Tahoe NF, and one of the reasons I ride is because it lets me be out of reach. Too many people get in touch with me as it is.
What if you fall/get hit by a car/are struck by a meteorite? Life is uncertain.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts