Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be moving to Columbus, Ohio within the next 30 days or so. I am going to be staying with family in Marrysville for awhile. I am just a recreational rider, just like being active and staying in reasonable shape. Any advice on routes, clubs, group rides, or LBS would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

· Misplaced priorities?
354 Posts
I spent 5 yrs. in Central Ohio and 1 in Columbus. If you can get past the ever-increasing sprawl of the metro area, there are plenty of open roads to be had. There's nothing but flat farmland surrounding most of the Columbus metro area. Depending on where you live in the city, to the west or south is probably your best bet. In the city, there is a paved MUT (Olentangy Trail) that, on the north, starts maybe 1/2 mile north of I-270 near the Rt. 315 exit. As you head south, you hug the Olentangy River as you travel through a handful of parks, through the campus of OSU, through downtown Columbus where you then ride alongside the Scioto River to about 4 miles south of downtown where the trail abruptly ends @ I-71. The section south of downtown is less crowded but also seems to be more poorly maintained (branches, debris, etc.) It's maybe 35-36 miles round trip. There are a few sections where the trail ends, and you navigate through city streets to connect to the next section of trail. Follow the bike route signs, or locate a map online. A quick Google search of Olentangy Trail or something pertaining to trails in Columbus should yield something. The trail can be very crowded at times, but such is life on an MUT. I was always glad to see those folks who obviously used the trail to commute to and from work (dressed in shirt & tie). There are signs posted throughout the city indicating which streets are designated bike routes. They can be confusing to follow. Automobile traffic is a PITA in the city which is what caused me to get into biking in the 1st place. There are other good MUTs around Central Ohio, and Xenia is less than 90 min. away with its plethora of LONG MUTs.

As far as LBSs go, there is a Trek store in the Dublin area (NW C-bus), and there is a chain of 3 or 4 stores called BikeSource. They have locations in Dublin (Sawmill Rd), Westerville (NE C-Bus), Clintonville (neighborhood 1 mi. N. of OSU campus on High St), & maybe 1 more location. BikeSource hooked me up w/ my 1st bike, and they seemed to always have what I needed. IIRC, they carried mostly Giant, Specialized, & Cannondale. I have no idea how good there mechanics are as I never had my bike serviced there. There was another shop in N. C-bus on Henderson Rd. called CycleTech or something, but I only went there to buy golf discs. There might also be another LBS somewhere west of downtown on 5th Ave, but I don't remember. It may have only been a motorcycle shop. Outside of C-Bus, the only LBS I know of in Central OH is BreakAway Cycling in Delaware (20 mi. E. of Marysville & 20 mi. N. of C-Bus). I don't know much about that store though, but I remember it from my college days in Delaware.

· vegan cyclocross disco
428 Posts
Check out Columbus Outdoor Pursuits. They're the big recreational riding club in Columbus with weekday rides throughout the city. There's a Tuesday night ride in Hilliard (south of Marysville) that I have helped lead. A bunch of really nice people show up. C.O.P. has a bunch of very friendly riders involved and I would say should be your first place to investigate. The rides attract a wide variety, from slow comfort riders to hardcore racers and everything in between. And they organize tons of weekend rides that will show you around all of central ohio. Here's the site:
http://www.outdoor-pursuits.org/biking/bicycling.htm

Go here for another great place to meet people and find info:
http://www.columbuscycling.com/

See ya. Andy

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.