Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife was just offered a job at Miami University Ohio, so we're looking at the possibility of relocating there in July or August. Can anyone tell me what the riding/racing scene is like in that area? We're currently in central North Carolina, and here I'd say the scene is pretty good: I can put together a pretty full racing schedule without having to drive more than three hours in any direction, and there are two good weeknight training race series within an hour and a half. How is it out there? What's the terrain like? Any good regional racing websites to check out? Thanks a bunch!

·
$4000 bike - two bit legs
1,433 Posts
Greater Cincinnati

wavylines said:
My wife was just offered a job at Miami University Ohio, so we're looking at the possibility of relocating there in July or August. Can anyone tell me what the riding/racing scene is like in that area? We're currently in central North Carolina, and here I'd say the scene is pretty good: I can put together a pretty full racing schedule without having to drive more than three hours in any direction, and there are two good weeknight training race series within an hour and a half. How is it out there? What's the terrain like? Any good regional racing websites to check out? Thanks a bunch!
OK....Miami is a little north, but you are still in the "greater Cincinnati" area.

A few webpages for you:
www.qcw.org Queen City Wheelmen racing club
http://www.ohiovalleyracing.org/ Lists of a lot of races within 2 hours of you
http://www.teamlouisvilleracing.com/ Louisville, KY racing. Maybe 2 hours away

Also look up Lexington, KY racing, Dayton, OHio racing, Columbus outdoor pursuits.

Terrain: No mountains. Sorry. But rolling with a lot of nasty hills. "nasty" hill means 1-2 miles long averaging over 10% gradient. There is a big racing scene around Miami Univ...might want to google it.

Any questions?? Please PM me.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank Paul! I've been checking out those links and running some google searches, and I'm grooving on what I'm seeing. No mountains = good for me, as I'm no flyweight climber. I was pleased to see one of the race flyers call a 200' climb a "serious climb." My race this weekend has 6000' of climbing! Here in the middle of NC, we don't have too much elevation, but a lot of our races are out west in the mountains.

The Cincinnati scene looks great, but I haven't been able to find much specific to Miami U. Do you or anybody know of clubs around Oxford? The only thing I found related to Miami U. was a triathlon.

It looks like there's still a good deal of racing going on in August, and some in September. Hopefully I'll be able to make it out for a few. If you see a Duke University jersey racing the 4s (or, if all goes well between now and then, the 3s), that'd be me.

·
$4000 bike - two bit legs
1,433 Posts
Miami Univ

wavylines said:
Thank Paul! I've been checking out those links and running some google searches, and I'm grooving on what I'm seeing. No mountains = good for me, as I'm no flyweight climber. I was pleased to see one of the race flyers call a 200' climb a "serious climb." My race this weekend has 6000' of climbing! Here in the middle of NC, we don't have too much elevation, but a lot of our races are out west in the mountains.

The Cincinnati scene looks great, but I haven't been able to find much specific to Miami U. Do you or anybody know of clubs around Oxford? The only thing I found related to Miami U. was a triathlon.

It looks like there's still a good deal of racing going on in August, and some in September. Hopefully I'll be able to make it out for a few. If you see a Duke University jersey racing the 4s (or, if all goes well between now and then, the 3s), that'd be me.
You might want to email one of the Oxford shops http://bikewiseoxford.com/ and ask them about racing teams/clubs. I don't get up to Oxford much, but the area is very rural with rolling hills. I don't remember any major climbs in the area. To ride the "nasty" climbs, you have to head south to ride in and out of the various river (Ohio, Licking, Little Miami,...) valleys. good luck

·
Registered
17 Posts
Check out these. google for websites

Team columbus
Miami Valley Wheelmen
Miami U has a great program. A few Nat wins for there riders in the past.

Hope these help!!
D

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,806 Posts
Three Hours from Me

wavylines said:
...I can put together a pretty full racing schedule without having to drive more than three hours in any direction...
I live in northeast Indiana and my son and I hit the spring series centered around Cincy. With a three hour range you should find plenty of racing in Cincinatti, Columbus, Louisville and Indianapolis. Paul gave you a pretty accurate description of the terrain. In addition if you are interested in track racing the Velodrome in Indy is a realistic drive.

Here are a couple of additional race listing sites:

Good midwest (north central) listings
http://www.truesport.com/

Indiana races centered around Indy
http://www.indianaraceseries.com/

Also this Columbus team has a nice schedule of races listed. They list upcoming races with hotlinks but my favorite is to pop into prior years and read race results (with reports) that give you an idea of the nature of the race and course.
http://www.savagehillcycling.com/Schedule.asp

Here is a velodrome link but it is not very good (up to date). If you have an interest I can put you in touch with my son who races there most Fridays in the summer.
http://www.indygov.org/eGov/City/DPR/Parks/Major+Taylor+Velodrome.htm

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks a bunch, guys! That velodrome looks interesting -- I'd like to try it, at least once. I also got some good info from the president of Miami Cycling. I may PM some of you when I get out there just to see if we could touch base at a race. Thanks again!

·
Registered
647 Posts
their are alot of teams in this area, miami being in the town of oxford,
thier is a
saturn-dayton team
anthem-bandwith team
7hills
all in that area

big teams in a 2 hr radius, would be savage hillcycling, cobc or breakaway, tri-zilla, their is a bunch of races.

you can stay busy every weekend easy

·
Registered
242 Posts
wavylines said:
The riding in southern Ohio is intense. I have ridden all over southen Ohio from Cincinnatti up to Chilicothe. There is a weekend race series in September with a Crit in Athens, OH a very challenging road race in Chillicothe, finished up by a time trial on Sunday. I forgot the name of the series, but it used to attract professionals like LeMond, so I was told at the race. I think the Chillicothe Cycling Club helps promote the event.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts