Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an American Classic MTB 105 front hub (17mm axle) and I can feel a slight amount of play plus the axle spins so freely that I suspect there's not much grease left on the bearings. I can't find any info at all on the Web about servicing AC front hubs and would appreciate a little help.

Do I just put the round axle end in an axle vise and unscrew the hex nut on the opposite side to remove the axle? Will I then be able to just pry open the seals and repack with grease or do I need to pull/replace the bearings? If so, what's a source for bearings at a reasonable price?

TIA

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
I've got a set of Speed Dream custom wheels that were built on AC hubs. After a number of years, the rear hub needed to be rebuilt. The bearings were shot in them. My LBS did not sell, nor could they order AC replacement bearings because they are not an AC authorized dealer. They did tell me what bearing set I needed. I called AC and left a message on their machine. They called me back the next day -- they had them in stock. Unfortunately I needed four and they were $12.50 a set. So it was $50 for four of them, but its a nice wheelset, so what choice did I have? It spins perfectly now.

Try repacking the grease, although I doubt its your problem.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I recently replaced the bearings on a non-disc AC mtb hub (front). Mine used 6803 sealed bearings, which can be sourced cheaply on Ebay.

On my hub at least, it was as simple as removing the seals and spindle, and tapping out the bearings. (Mine spun roughly and were obviously on their way out, but no play.) Tap in the new bearings using the old bearings.

I assume you've looked up the manuals on the AC site:

http://www.amclassic.com/en/manuals.php

1 - 3 of 3 Posts